DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been remodeling our house. Lots of new drywall has been put up. We plan on having majority of the walls and ceilings done in knock-down texture. Should we use some kind of primer sealer on new drywall after the texture is complete?

How about on existing, already painted drywall that has some repair mud work done too? The main bathroom in the remodel was not touched, with the exception of eliminating some wall outlets. Plus the ceiling is new drywall. I plan on texturing the walls myself, probably with the brand Menards' sales- Protex I think is the name of their texture. Should I do something to the painted walls before texturing?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kibby,

I would recommend priming everything before going forward with all that hard work. a simple inexpensive PVA primer will be sufficient enough to provide a firm base for the texture to adhere to.

You may still want to paint the textured walls after you apply the knock down. A layer of primer will give everything coated on the wall surface a consistent surface to last for years.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HDPaintPro said:
Kibby,

I would recommend priming everything before going forward with all that hard work. a simple inexpensive PVA primer will be sufficient enough to provide a firm base for the texture to adhere to.

You may still want to paint the textured walls after you apply the knock down. A layer of primer will give everything coated on the wall surface a consistent surface to last for years.

Hope this helped.
I do plan on priming. I was planning on a paint and primer in one to save me time. Any thoughts on that route?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
my uncle went with the "paint with primer in it" . when he went back for more paint so he could do a 3rd coat the woman said "we should have told you that you need to prime the walls first" and this was in a house that probably has numerous coats of paint on the wall already. so if you want to waste your money be my guest. my uncle spent 32 dollars a gallon on crap.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
my uncle went with the "paint with primer in it" . when he went back for more paint so he could do a 3rd coat the woman said "we should have told you that you need to prime the walls first" and this was in a house that probably has numerous coats of paint on the wall already. so if you want to waste your money be my guest. my uncle spent 32 dollars a gallon on crap.[/quote]

There is you're answer to "paint and primer" in the same can:whistling2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DannyT said:
my uncle went with the "paint with primer in it" . when he went back for more paint so he could do a 3rd coat the woman said "we should have told you that you need to prime the walls first" and this was in a house that probably has numerous coats of paint on the wall already. so if you want to waste your money be my guest. my uncle spent 32 dollars a gallon on crap.
So sounds like the prime and paint in ones are of thicker consistency. I did dig back and found a post on the same topic. I have more researching to do and I'm not painting and priming till next week.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
the more tint a gallon of paint has in it the thinner its going to be.
buy a good primer and a decent paint and you will be way ahead unless you like repainting or doing 3 coats. the paint with primer that my uncle bought was very thin and came from the blue big box store. i told him what paint to get but he's one of these people that does something then asks for advice. by then he had already spent 600.00 on paint and ended up spending another 300.00 to do a 3rd coat. this was on walls that were already painted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stopped in at SW and noticed they had 5gal primer (p200, I think) on sale for 12.99. Anyways, they have a paint and accessory sale this weekend, pretty good timing as the knock down will be done on Saturday.

So, from what I have gathered from a previous post is to prime the walls and ceilings before the knock down is sprayed on. SW suggested the same thing and then proceeding with my color over the knock down. Forgot to look at what oops colors they had, but I'm probably going back there later today to pick up one (or 2) of those 5 gal buckets after I do some measuring.

From some other reviews on other sites, I think I'll be staying away from the all in ones.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where I work, we sometimes kid the people asking about the "All in ones"....

Sometimes I'll say-
"How does the PRIMER in the can know how to get to the wall FIRST....?!"

THAT usually gets-'em thinking!
THEN...they often realize what bunk it is!

Besides....
IT'S NOT REALLY A SEPARATE "Primer" in the can anyway!!!

>>>> The main resins themselves are often made a little "denser", thereby taking on "kind of" a primer function. But is it really a separate primer....?!?!?

H#ll NO!

Faron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where I work, we sometimes kid the people asking about the "All in ones"....

Sometimes I'll say-
"How does the PRIMER in the can know how to get to the wall FIRST....?!"

THAT usually gets-'em thinking!
THEN...they often realize what bunk it is!

Besides....
IT'S NOT REALLY A SEPARATE "Primer" in the can anyway!!!

>>>> The main resins themselves are often made a little "denser", thereby taking on "kind of" a primer function. But is it really a separate primer....?!?!?

H#ll NO!

Faron
Primer is a step you perform PRIOR to painting. If you are not doing it PRIOR to painting, you are NOT PRIMING.

That being said, you have clean drywall. If you do not have wall imperfections, just get a GOOD (not cheap) latex primer tinted to your wall color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts