DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently had my insurance company pay my contractor to "remove and replace" plaster ceilings and walls in my home. We ended up doing repairs instead of removal and put up blueboard with 2 coats of plaster. I need to find out the price difference between what it cost the contractor and what my insurance company paid him. Can someone provide me with what I should have paid per square foot for the following: demolition of plaster(lath) ceiling, demolition of plaster(lath) wall, labor and materials to replace the ceiling and wall using blueboard coated with two coats of plaster. Thanks...by the way I live in CT.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
It is commendable that you want to see that the contractor is paid more. He probably deserves it. But if he made a deal with the insurance company, then they are probably both satisfied.

·
General Contractor
534 Posts
My experience with insurance claims are:
1) Insurance company has homeowner get 3 quotes and approves an amount based on one of those quotes. They then issue homeowner the funds to pay the contractor of homeowners choice. If there is a difference homeowner either pays it out of pocket or pockets the difference.
2) Insurance company uses pre-screened contractors that have agreed to predetermined figures for various types work and pays said contractors directly.

Either way the contractor has agreed to perform the repair for a set figure. The actual cost is labor and materials plus overhead and profit. Nobody but the contractor who did the work can give you that number.

Now to save KC the trouble:
This is a DIY site, questions about the cost to hire a contractor are strongly discouraged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts