DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I initially used the caulk shown in the attached photo I put a long screw into the top and wrapped the top with gorilla duct tape. I put it in the cabinet standing up right for many months. When I opened it up today to use it on something it was completely dried out. How do I prevent that? What’s the proper way of storing that silicone so it doesn’t happen?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Many months is your key...
Even unopened, some types of caulking can/do go bad... solidify.

professionally, I keep all sealant stocks rotated for usage... truck and shop.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
After I initially used the caulk shown in the attached photo I put a long screw into the top and wrapped the top with gorilla duct tape. I put it in the cabinet standing up right for many months. When I opened it up today to use it on something it was completely dried out. How do I prevent that? What’s the proper way of storing that silicone so it doesn’t happen?

just curious..
what are you using pure silicone sealant on ?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just curious..
what are you using pure silicone sealant on ?
I’ve used it previously to seal around outdoor lighting fixtures I’ve installed. Today was trying to use it to close the 3 or the 4 opening in a junction box as only one set of wires is coming up from another junction box and the load bundle was coming in through the back so I didn’t need the other bottom opening and don’t need either of the two openings on top.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I’ve used it previously to seal around outdoor lighting fixtures I’ve installed. Today was trying to use it to close the 3 or the 4 opening in a junction box as only one set of wires is coming up from another junction box and the load bundle was coming in through the back so I didn’t need the other bottom opening and don’t need either of the two openings on top.
ohhh, okay....

Wellll, anyway, know that sealants don't have a forever shelf life.

good sealing to ya' (y)

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
What I have done to seal a tube is use some plastic wrap or a balloon and slide it down over the tip.
If air can't get to the contents it will stay usable for quite a while....some things longer than other.

·
Registered
Yes
429 Posts
As mentioned, it has a shelf life.

I use black electrical tape. A piece over the top and a few wraps around the stem.
Squeeze the caulk gun just hard enough to push out remaining air from the tape.
Sometimes it last for years in my basement.

FWIW...Don.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The key to keeping a used tube of caulk usable is to insert a piece of thick wire way down into the tube past the tip. I have a section of aluminum transmission wire I came across, the material is around 1/8" dia. Sealing the cartridge with a long piece allows un-hardened caulk a way to come out. Sealing with a screw of something short will eventually dry out and become useless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts