DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DIY = Done Right 1st Time
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use along with the water to clean off any loose paint, green matter, staining on my concrete steps? Looking to not layout a ton of money on fancy chemicals.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
You may not need any chemicals; try water alone and see if it comes off to your liking. If not, stores have lots of stuff to buy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just water can work pretty good. For stains on concrete I have had good success using a cheap powered laundry detergent mixed with water to make a paste. I will scrub this on any stains then keep it wet by spraying it once in a while or cover it with a plastic tarp for a few hours. For green (alge or vegetation) stains mix a little bleach in. I have had stains from oak leaves that never went away... It must be something unique to that particular leaf.

Rege

Rege

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Yeah, leaf stains are really tough. I think a bleach/chlorine solution strong enough to oxidize them will likely kill any plants nearby from runoff.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's the oak leaves that I could not get off with bleach or hydrogen peroxide (oxy clean). Someone told me it was tannic acid in oak leaves that cause the stain on cement. I do not know if that is true but I can tell you the oak leaf stains in driveway were there atleast two years and might still be... I moved so I don't really know.

Rege

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I use some pool chlorine and water mix but that isn't too good for vegetation and it seems to work fairly well but there is still a ghost image. I may do some googling for a better remedy; if I find anything I'll post it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts