DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sanded this with 80 grit sandpaper. Some of the paint fell away but some seems stuck like glue. I didn't paint it, so am not sure what kind of paint was used in each layer. I'm afraid to sand more if it scratches the metal.

What do I need to use to get these rough patches smooth without scratching the metal?

Also, once I get these rough patches smoothed, are there some good primers for metal anyone can recommend?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dont worry about scratching the metal. Thats what bondo's for.

BUT.. chemically strip it if its really your concern, then paint it with DTM from a real paint store. All paint stores have a version of DTM (direct to metal)

Or, just spray paint it, depends on size and situation.

·
retired painter
12,193 Posts
am not sure what kind of paint was used in each layer. I'm afraid to sand more if it scratches the metal...What do I need to use to get these rough patches smooth without scratching the metal?.

Don't worry about scratching the metal. Sheet metal gets sanding scratches all the time during auto body work. Between finer sanding and primer/sanding the scratches disappear.

·
Super moderator
2,043 Posts
can you post a photo of the whole furnace ??
I live in Florida - we don't have many furnaces here
and your project sounds rather interesting as I love
refurbishing old metal things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.