DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jack of all - master none
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m getting ready to get started on putting tile into what was my laundry room. It is now going to be a mudroom/entry-room from the garage, as the laundry has been relocated to the basement. Currently the room has vinyl sheet-laminate flooring.

I am looking to know what backer-board to put down before tiling (or none?). I have thoroughly confused myself reading the tile DIYs and threads. I have done floor tile before, but only on concrete floors. What is the correct backer material for this installation, and how should I affix it (Just screws, screws plus thinset, etc.)?

Facts:

• The room is 5.5’ x 10.5’ (it's like a hallway).
  • I have 13” porcelain tiles that I will be installing.
  • Floor Joists are 2x10s, 16” O.C. and span the short width (5.5') of the room.
  • Subfloor is 23/32 OSB.
  • This is on the first floor of a 2-story house, with a full basement below.

Any other info needed for a recommendation, let me know. Thanks in advance!

(attached is a stamp on the subfloor, as seen from the basement)

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
For a backer board I suggest 1/4 inch Wonder board,set in thinset to fill any voids--Nailed with hot dipped galvanized roofing nails.

The Rock on screws could also be used.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
what is the total unsupported length of the joists. where is the laundry room located along the length of the joists?

·
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room sits right between 2 I-beams. About 5.5' separate the two beams - the same width of the room. It looks like the walls that make up this room sit directly above the I-beams (load bearing?). So, total unsupported span of 5.5' with beams on either side of that span.

In this picture, the garage would be on the other side of the concrete wall. The entry room comes in right between the beams.

Attachments

·
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New development in the pre-tiling phases

New development. Today, I tore out the vinyl floor. To my surprise, I found that there is plywood installed on top of the 23/32 OSB. It looks like it's about 3/8 - maybe 1/2. The plywood is sanded flush at the seams, and is field stapled at the marked indicators, as well as all along the perimeters.

I have 1/4" wonderboard sitting in the garage. Should I still use it? I'm not afraid of the extra work to put it down, just wondering if it's still necessary now? My only real concern is the extra height in the new floor towering above the wood floors in the adjoining room.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That's likely 1/4 inch Multi Ply brand underlayment---That is rated for direct tile installation--(I recognize the product)

However, I would still recommend 1/4 " wonder board. If height is a problem you could remove that--

The cement backer is added insurance against failure if the area ever gets wet.---Mike---

1 - 8 of 8 Posts