DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A shed that has been incomplete for awhile, due to weather, life, etc., but I need now to move forward on it. It was begun by my father-in-law, before his death, and I hope to be able to complete it. I drew some plans for him, a couple times, in AutoCAD, and spoke with him about his progress, but did not have a working knowledge of the day to day on the project, and so now need figure out how to proceed from where he left off.

The shed is the extension of an existing structure, has an upper and lower floor, and is framed for a gambrel arched roof. My meaning being that it will be a smooth arch from one eve to the other- a half-circle, if you will.

Most of the rafters have been made & installed, however my question has to do with when they all are in, and applying the roof & guttering.

The rafters will be topped with 1/2" CDX. The flooring for the upper level is made of 3/4" T&G sub-flooring, and it's where the two meet where I am uncertain how best to proceed (the area in the green ellipse in my drawing). The 3/4" flooring plywood past the rafter footers and spacers needs be removed, which is will be a special task on it's own, with the rafters largely in place. Specifically, however, it's what/how I prepare that lip for the eaves and guttering: do I build up a berm near the lip, so that the roofing will rise and properly empty into the guttering? Do I need look at installing flashing, due to it's unconventional nature? Am I missing the obvious?

I do appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions.

Thank you,

Ray~

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Just makes no since to me the way your trying to build this.
A real picture of it might clear it up.
Trying to understand your logic of setting the rafters before cutting that over hang back.
Big mistake in my opinion to not have an over hang where the roof meets the walls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reply.

It was not my logic, as I said, I did not build it to this point, and do not know the reasoning behind it being built the way it has been; I'm simply trying to complete the project, and have a usable for my mother-in-law.

Ray~

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Hi Ray. Just thinking out loud, but as Joe said, you need an overhang. If you give up on the full half circle and extend the bottom of the curve angled down to the edge of an overhang it would still look like a Gambrel.

Another point, did your FIL pull the required permits? I know everyone wants to ignore that step, but in today's computer world it is becoming standard to search for prior permits and in some cases the non-permitted structure ends up coming down. At the minimum it is back taxes, penalties, and permit costs.

A friend up here just got a letter asking for a full onsite inspection because the overhead view (Google Street View) doesn't match what they have on record.

Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bud,

Thank you for your reply and recommendations.

Yes, the permits/allowances are in place for the shed.

See on my sketch, below, how I intend to create an overhang, as you recommended. Please let me know if you see any faults and/or problems with my plans, and again, thank you.

Ray~

Attachments

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Not exactly my specialty so hope Joe and others comment.

Since we are just seeing a cutaway it is hard for me to envision the finishing details.

My concerns would be how that overhang gets tied back into the roof and how the gable ends are finished? Hard enough for me to build things as they have always been. Here we are in new waters.

Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bud,

Yes, it's quite a different structure, but has been built extremely solid... just wish I knew how he meant to do a couple things (chief among them is the overhang). Otherwise it's just covering the remainder of the walls, roof, etc., nothing cryptic or unclear.

Unfortunately a cut-away is all I have at present, due to the tarps, etc., though I can certainly draw anything, or post some of the images I have from AutoCAD, if that would help in clarifying, for anyone.

Thanks,

Ray~

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Google "gambrel soffit detail pictures" and see if any of those images give you an idea.

bud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.