DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking everywhere and am starting to feel like I might be crazy. I'm looking for prehung interior doors that don't have trim already installed. The only doors I've seen come with the standard window/door trim but we will be building a home with more craftsman trim. I don't want to have to rip off new trim just to redo it. Am I missing something? I hope I'm just not looking in the right place or asking the right questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,273 Posts
Just order flat jamb doors.
Make sure you order them to the right width, plaster walls take a different width jamb.
There should not be any up charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you save any money getting a flat door jamb over the ones with moulding? I would hope so but it doesn't always work out that way....

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Almost all the doors you are seeing are split-jamb door where the two halves slide together for a faster install.

Flat jamb doors with stop will cost you quit a bit more that the HD or Lowes in stock price, like $105 for something you see there for $78. A millworks store is the place to shop.

·
Registered
37,273 Posts
I've never payed extra for a flat jamb door.

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Maybe things are different over there. Around here Lowes and HD will charge extra for anything not in stock.

I went to a local mill works shop since the above mentioned pair don't do special orders real well. The local guy was about $10 more than the BORGs as a base price and with the flat jamb it was 105 for for a BORG $78 door. I considered it a bargain since I got it in a week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts