DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on some built-in cabinets and the veneer on my oak plywood countertop is cracking (see pic). Not sure why, but definitely not water or sun. It has been sitting in the room a month, so getting hit with the heat maybe did it?

Either way, since I am pre-finish I am not sure how to deal with it. I plan to stain and poly. Try to repair somehow? Is it easiest to scrap it for new counter?

Thoughts on why it happened and the easiest fix are appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,219 Posts
That has been wet.

It can't be fixed by anyone but a lamination factory.

You might get a sheet of Formica to cover it, but it's going to look odd.

ED

·
Registered
631 Posts
It was definitely not water?

It looks like you edge banded the plywood with solid oak. How were they attached and were they allowed to stabilize in a heated environment before being joined?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, solid oak trim, attached with pocket holes and wood glue.

As far as water damage, I just mean water has not touched it since I've had it. I did not do any stabilizing, though I am realizing using big-box lumber that may be essential? My shop area has a dehumidifier but it not heated.

Sounds like I need to replace the board? I've never joined solid boards, so I went with the ply.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I can't say that I've ever done it quite that way. Plywood is pretty stable so you wouldn't think that it would move enough to crack the veneer, but the materials weren't acclimated either so maybe that's enough. Plus the joint between the end band and the plywood was super solid being both glued and screwed so I guess it resisted shrinkage across the veneer grain just enough to cause problems?

I assume there was no cracking farther away from the end?

·
General Contractor
84 Posts
Whatever the cause, it is not fixable. I would replace it.
At best, you might be able to pick up some new veneer to apply to the entire top, but it would easier to just replace it.

It could have been water damage from a glass being set on it without realizing it, or it could that veneer delaminated and expanded due to moisture and humidity.

Follow me on Instagram @amanteafinewoodworks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the opinions. It is just dry-fitted now, so not a huge deal to replace. There is a small crack on this piece nearer the middle of the board, but my other countertop is not cracking at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts