DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first off I'm not an electrician but am looking to DIY a power solution for my wood shop which is about 90' from my outside power panel to the house.

I have a generator with a 30A output which I think is more than enough to run the equipment I now have with plug and disconnect as needed to the devices. I have purchased a 90A indoor panel and a 30A Generator Input for the outside connection to the generator. I will drive a ground rod near the generator input outlet if needed.

I don't want to run the shed off of the house power as a sub panel.

Is what I'm planning on doing safe and are there any recommendations?

CD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question on grounds

The input is a four wire with a built in ground and my feed also is a four wire. Should I remove the ground built in and tie in the power ground and then ground the generator off of the ground lug on it?

·
Registered
37,220 Posts
That's going to get old real quick having to hear that generator running every time you use that shed, and gas is not cheap.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
The input is a four wire with a built in ground and my feed also is a four wire. Should I remove the ground built in and tie in the power ground and then ground the generator off of the ground lug on it?

Stop thinking.. :)

You are supplying four conductors from the generator to the sub-panel, keep the grounds and neutrals separate in the sub-panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It actually quite quiet and will run over 12 hours straight on 5 gals of gas. I'd like a solar/wind solution but cost is prohibitive. Its a now solution until I can afford to pay someone to tie it in later to the main feed or to the water pump power connection out back if that's possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The generator most likely already contains a Neutral / Ground bond, so make sure you keep the grounds and neutrals separate in the panel, other than that, you are good to go...

This is good advice. Listen to it. Driving a gorunding rod in this situation is a huge waste of time and money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FWIW, just because the generator has a 30A receptacle, it doesn't mean that it could supply that much current.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts