DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to run power to my loafing shed for lights, fans and blowers for show livestock. The blowers pull almost 20 amps each so here is my plan.

Underground service using 4 awg thwn in conduit. 130 ft run.
60 amp breaker in main panel
Outdoor Sub panel in shed. The shed is covered on 3 sides and front is open.
2 ground rods at subpanel. May have to install horizontally due to rock in ground
3 circuits coming off subpanel. 2 dedicated for the blowers. 3rd will be for lights, fans and stock tank heater. All outlets will be 20 amp on gfci.
Obviously stock tank heater will be close to water so I will use liquid tite conduit there.
My questions are

Do I need a gfci breaker for the 60 in the main panel? Will 4 awg wire fit in a 60 amp breaker? Is 4 awg large enough? Can I use aluminum? Is 1" conduit large enough for 3 4 awg wires. I will not need 240 so only three wires

I have found hundreds of threads on how to run power to a shed but this is different since it's not completely protected from the weather.

Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is on a 30' or shorter run, but your running 130ft. My understanding is you will need a separate disconnect and ground at the end reach due to the distance.

You are probably better running a 3 wire and then securing your ground correctly (6' or 8' copper rod).

You'll need a disconnect device (breaker box w/ main, etc...) that will support an external ground as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before buying or running any wire check with your local power company and building codes. They vary by city and you want to make sure you build to code.

If you have an electric supply company (Platt and Greybar are who we have here) they should be able to give you some guidance.

Also check local building codes as they are commonly available online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts