DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a power outlet be right under a window? asking because of the possibility of window leaking.

thanks

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
It's done all the time.
I do it so the lady can put there Christmas candles in the windows.

Reactions: amakarevic

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't mean to sound harsh, but what does a potentially leaking window have to do with electrical installations. Think about it before responding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
6/12?

The 6/12 rule still applies though.[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but what does 6/12 mean :huh:? I have an older home (built in 1954). Some of the electrical has been updated, some not. I've been toying with the idea of replacing all the old with new. (The older lines are black and only have two wires; new is white with 3 wires) Any extented understanding of the Electrical Jargon would help! Thanks!!

Jilligoat

·
Registered
272 Posts
For most residential rooms, no spot on the wall may be more than 6 feet along the wall from an outlet, disregarding open space from doors. Thus outlets can be spaced no more than 12 feet apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For most residential rooms, no spot on the wall may be more than 6 feet along the wall from an outlet, disregarding open space from doors. Thus outlets can be spaced no more than 12 feet apart.
So, outlets need to be no more than 6 feet apart? (Unless there is a door..) Would that be correct? :huh:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not quite, outlets can be no more than 12 feet apart. The idea is you should be able to put a lamp with a 6 foot cord anywhere along the wall and reach an outlet (unless you hit a door).

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Just remember, the 6/12 rule is the MINIMUM number of outlets required. I always add more - you can never have too many outlets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts