DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few months ago i bought a led light strip 12v to go under my kitchen cabinets. The way i have it connect is to a wifi off/on apps ( no light switch ) . and it it powered on by a 12v power supply
i like to leave it on for few hours. Rather then have my kitchen lights on. Few days ago i decided to turn it on and the LED lights started to come off/on. I first that it was the apps to i clear my phone. And re stall the led wifi back to my apps. After that it then stopped. 2 days later it did it again. when i was walking to the kitchen. i notice the power supply had blue light ( this is the blue light on the power supply ) But i notice there was a crack on it. My first reaction was okay it must of over heated and cause the plastic to crack. When i touched it. It was pretty warm. Even when i unplugged the power supply the blue light took a few mins for it to die down. Well at times i do have my iphone plug into the same out. I have notice that my iphone after a day it goes half battery. it never dont that before. to pretty much it has giving my iphone half of it battery life. im guessing it must of over heated same time the led power supply got hot.

i guess my question is it the power supply that bad ? or do i need to replace the power outlet from the wall?

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
If your light is UL approved, it is time to return it to the MFG and get your money back.
If you purchased on line return it under not satisfied.

I am guessing here you got a bad power supply.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
When charging your phone on this receptacle, does the phone stop saying that it is charging?
I would take out the receptacle (with circuit off) to check connections. When you plug something into it does it go in easily or with some tightness? They do get loose over time and would cause overheating.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your light is UL approved, it is time to return it to the MFG and get your money back.
If you purchased on line return it under not satisfied.

I am guessing here you got a bad power supply.
I bough the power supply from ebay. so i cant get my money back. im guess it from china just like every thing online

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When charging your phone on this receptacle, does the phone stop saying that it is charging?
I would take out the receptacle (with circuit off) to check connections. When you plug something into it does it go in easily or with some tightness? They do get loose over time and would cause overheating.
when i plug my phone to the wall outlet. it take a long time for it to charge. I even plug the iphone usb power supply and it kind of the same thing. i have not issues with pluging in the outlet. or slipping out. I just found it kind of odd that the power supply to the led got hot same time i had the iphone charger. connect to it. again not sure if the led power supply got hot to where the outlet got hot or drawn in along of power and now my iphone battery has a half a life now

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your power supply may be underpowered. You could test it with a multimeter that can measure current draw (I just usually attach things like these to my bench power supply and see how much the strip really draws).

Have you done due diligence to order a power supply sized for your light (since I don't see any discussion of amps or watts in the thread)? I'd stop using it until you make sure it can support the current the circuit needs, otherwise you may start a fire.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your power supply may be underpowered. You could test it with a multimeter that can measure current draw (I just usually attach things like these to my bench power supply and see how much the strip really draws).

Have you done due diligence to order a power supply sized for your light (since I don't see any discussion of amps or watts in the thread)? I'd stop using it until you make sure it can support the current the circuit needs, otherwise you may start a fire.
Last year i had someone electrician come to my house. he checked the box then went around each and every outlet and told me its fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if this will give any other information to help but it is connect next to a outlet gfci

·
Registered
712 Posts
few months ago i bought a led light strip 12v to go under my kitchen cabinets. The way i have it connect is to a wifi off/on apps ( no light switch ) . and it it powered on by a 12v power supply View attachment 663308 i like to leave it on for few hours. Rather then have my kitchen lights on. Few days ago i decided to turn it on and the LED lights started to come off/on. I first that it was the apps to i clear my phone. And re stall the led wifi back to my apps. After that it then stopped. 2 days later it did it again. when i was walking to the kitchen. i notice the power supply had blue light ( this is the blue light on the power supply ) But i notice there was a crack on it. My first reaction was okay it must of over heated and cause the plastic to crack. When i touched it. It was pretty warm. Even when i unplugged the power supply the blue light took a few mins for it to die down. Well at times i do have my iphone plug into the same out. I have notice that my iphone after a day it goes half battery. it never dont that before. to pretty much it has giving my iphone half of it battery life. im guessing it must of over heated same time the led power supply got hot.

i guess my question is it the power supply that bad ? or do i need to replace the power outlet from the wall?
Is that the adapter that came with the reel? Did you use the entire reel? It's possible that you exceeded the wattage rating of the power supply. Maybe get a power supply with higher milliamp capacity.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that the adapter that came with the reel? Did you use the entire reel? It's possible that you exceeded the wattage rating of the power supply. Maybe get a power supply with higher milliamp capacity.

not sure what you mean by reel? sorry!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh the LED tape usually comes on a reel?

here is the led strip i bought 10M 20M 5M LED Flexible Strip Light SMD 3528 5050 5630 300 +Remote +Power Supply | eBay now sure where you going with this. im started to think it the power supply that was garage. just not sure why my iphone charger gave my iphone half of his life battery is my question. could it be the outlet or the power supply since it was right next to it that it cause the iphone charge to over heat as well

·
Registered
712 Posts
here is the led strip i bought 10M 20M 5M LED Flexible Strip Light SMD 3528 5050 5630 300 +Remote +Power Supply | eBay now sure where you going with this. im started to think it the power supply that was garage. just not sure why my iphone charger gave my iphone half of his life battery is my question. could it be the outlet or the power supply since it was right next to it that it cause the iphone charge to over heat as well
Wow that's cheap. They probably undersized the power supply. Just buy a new one. Look for one maybe rated at 2 amps. What is the rating of the one that came with it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are you using the led lights cheap or the power supply? i bought the power supply separate from a different company

·
Registered
712 Posts
are you using the led lights cheap or the power supply? i bought the power supply separate from a different company
I just meant the price seems very low. Doesn't necessarily mean the product is crap but it's certainly something to consider.

So yeah, you bought too small of a power supply. Get a bigger one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just meant the price seems very low. Doesn't necessarily mean the product is crap but it's certainly something to consider.

So yeah, you bought too small of a power supply. Get a bigger one.

i see i guess i will have to go home and see what the amps was and send a picture

1 - 20 of 40 Posts