DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The basement room and bathroom has no power. I tested the circuit breaker and the circuit breaker is good. I checked the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and the test button would not move, it seemed stuck. So I assume the GFCI outlet was bad. I changed the GFCI outlet and there is still no power. The wires are live because I tested them. But the indicator light on the GFCI outlet is off and I also plugged something in the outlet and still no power.

I also swapped the 'line' and 'load' wires just to make sure I didn't mix them up, and still no power.

Also, I tested the adjacent outlets in the bedroom and the wires aren't live when tested. Could it be a bad light switch? How else can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,388 Posts
Reconnect just the line side (power from the breaker panel) and retest. If it works you have downstream (wires on the load side) fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reconnect just the line side (power from the breaker panel) and retest. If it works you have downstream (wires on the load side) fault.

I did and still no power or indicator light on the GFCI outlet. I also checked all the connections on all the outlets on the breaker. I also changed any backstab connections and screwed them in.

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
How did you test for live wires at the GFCI? If using a proximity tester, you may be getting a false signal. Use a test light, Wiggy, or multimeter. Suspect a loose connection at a still working receptacle on the same circuit.

·
Super Moderator
10,230 Posts
The bathroom and bedroom should not be on the same circuit.
How did you check for power before the gfci?

Check other parts of the house, you may have a larger problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How did you test for live wires at the GFCI? If using a proximity tester, you may be getting a false signal. Use a test light, Wiggy, or multimeter. Suspect a loose connection at a still working receptacle on the same circuit.

I used a voltameter, the light is green by default but turns red when it senses voltage. I see what you're saying with a false signal. I also used the voltage tester with the black and red prongs and it did not turn on.

There are NO working outlets on this circuit breaker so I'm scratching my head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bathroom and bedroom should not be on the same circuit.
How did you check for power before the gfci?

Check other parts of the house, you may have a larger problem.
The bedroom is actually just an open space in the basement. I checked the 'line' wires that feed into the GFCI and the voltameter detected voltage when the circuit breaker was on. But I also read elsewhere that it could be a loose white wire on another outlet. I checked and double checked all the outlets.

The rest of the house has power, it's just this one circuit breaker.

Do you think it could be a light switch? I hope so because I'm checking them now.
:)

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
Would not be a light switch unless the receptacles are controlled by a switch. It could be a connection inside a box with a switch. Could also be the neutral connection inside the panel. Have you tried swapping the black wire at the breaker with another breaker?

·
Super Moderator
23,995 Posts
There is an open connection on the circuit somewhere. If you are certain there is no problem in the breaker box then you need to start tracing the cable and find the break. Most likely it is an open connection in a junction box or other device.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
The fact that the light on the gfci is off says that power
is NOT getting thru the unit.
If the other outlets in the room go thru this unit
that explains why they are not getting power.
The gfci could well be faulty
Have you tried bypassing the unit completely ?
this will tell you for sure if its faulty.
If it is replace it.
But dont leave it connected without the cfci.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fact that the light on the gfci is off says that power
is NOT getting thru the unit.
If the other outlets in the room go thru this unit
that explains why they are not getting power.
The gfci could well be faulty
Have you tried bypassing the unit completely ?
this will tell you for sure if its faulty.
If it is replace it.
But dont leave it connected without the cfci.
I tried that. I removed the gfci and connected the black wires together and white wires together and still nothing turned on. I also bought two new gfci outlets and tried both and none worked.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
I used a voltameter, the light is green by default but turns red when it senses voltage. I see what you're saying with a false signal. I also used the voltage tester with the black and red prongs and it did not turn on.

There are NO working outlets on this circuit breaker so I'm scratching my head.
A volt meter has either a dial or a digital read out that will tell you the measured voltage. When you connect your voltmeter to the circuit breaker terminal and the neutral bus in the panel, what voltage do you read? You should have 120 +/- volts. If that is good, the next measurement is taken at the terminal screws on the GFCI.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Most non contact volt testers can give false readings,
Any tester with a high impedance input can give false readings.
This includes digital volt meters.
You need to test it with a low impedance tester,
such as a anologue volt meter,
Or a test lamp.
Please test it again with test lamp.

Electronics Measuring instrument Gauge Tool Technology

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.