DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing a new ceiling fan to replace an old one. from the box in ceiling there were 2 black hot wires twisted together, 1 white neutral, and 1 black w/white stripe. From the new fan there is a black, white, 2green grounds, and a black w/white stripe.
Initial wiring i did was all solid blacks + the black w/ white stripe from fan to the blacks on ceiling, put white to white, and then put my green grounds to the black w/white stripe from box since it was only wire left.... this caused the fan to "hum" when switch was on, tried on/off a few times then breaker popped in basement.
-
Tried a bunch of things the second time.... now realizing the grounds should have just went to a screw in the box not the black/white from house. I believe now it was too late. The black/white from the house is a constant hot wire, allowing the ceiling fan to run regardless of the light switch being on/off. (only 1 switch in room). My wife said she held the breaker over so because it kept tripping with the original wire setup, so i believe i now have a short somewhere. I now have no power to either upstairs bedroom. Checked power at the breaker w/ test light and there is power...
-
Dont know what to do next... how to i figure out where the power stops, its coming out of the main panel and does not make it all the way to my ceiling boxes anymore on the second floor....

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Shorting out the switch leg (black w/white stripe) could have blown the switch. I would first check the switch to see if it actually turns off, if it doesn't replace the switch.

Then I would check the splice of the two blacks up at the fan box to make sure they are still spliced together.

Other than that...I would think you blew a splice SOMEWHERE in the house.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I take it the new fan has also a light kit with it.
How is this setup controlled. Do you have one single pole switch on the wall that controls both fan and light or do you have 2 separate single pole switches where one controls the light on the fan and one switch controls the fan motor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The fan is fan/light together. Controlled by single wall switch... The other bedroom across the hall has a single switch, fan/light combo. The light is controlled by the switch and the fan is controlled by the pull chain. The fan will run regardless of wall switch being on/off.

This makes me think the black/white wire from the house is a constant hot wire not controlled by switch. Initially when putting that with the black hot wires and then flipping the switch i think back-fed my breaker causing the trip, then when my wife held the breaker on when it wanted to trip i believe caused something to burnout somewhere....
-
bad photo but the neutral whites are not in the same nut as the grounds... i had to extend a wire from box to my neutrals and just used a white wire FYI

Attachments

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Sounds to me that he has power on the blacks, and the black w/white stripe...I think he is going to find that the switch went bad when he shorted out the switch leg (black w/white stripe).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cant check wires now because there is no power going to the ceiling box any more... something burnt out an i need to know how to find it and where to look. there is power at the breaker

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
WHY IS THE WHITE TIED TO THE FAN'S MOUNTING BRACKET?!

Did you replace the box to a fan rated box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes fan box was there prior, there was a old fan there, its screwed into ceiling joust... and the white tied to the mounting bracket is not going to neutral... the grounds were not long enough so used a wire to just extend them... it happened to be white

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
yes fan box was there prior, there was a old fan there, its screwed into ceiling joust
Doubt it, just because a fan was there before, doesn't mean the box is fan rated.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
I think you need to start with taking down the fan and bracket, and take a picture of all the wires in the box.

To me, in the picture shown, it looks like the two wires tied together (and not wirenutted) should be the neutral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The two old ones tied together w/o nut are definitely hot... my right arm could tell u that... gave me a good zap.... ill take it apart and get a picture though... the issue currently isnt wiring the fan... its there is no power anywhere to upstairs ceiling boxes in either bedroom

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Check the switch, the splices behind the switch, and the splices at the fan box.

If those are all good, you are going to be looking for a needle in a haystack.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.