DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is my problem. I live in a newly constructed house. They are building a new house right next door. I am seeing a power flux (dimming) in my lights whenever any of the following occurs:

- I turn on the A/C in my house
- I turn on the washing machine in my house
- the compressor next door kicks on (for their nail gun and/or other tools)

The compressor next door is hooked up to a temporary post on the street. I have had my electrician come look along with the utility company. The utility company says that the house is getting plenty of power. So now, short of getting another electrician in here, trying to figure out what the problem could be (and if my electrician, who is the one who did the wiring during construction, doesn't know what he's doing). Most of the lights in the house are 60W if that matters.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I would think that given the proper wiring that I shouldn't see any kind of power flux.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
I am seeing a power flux (dimming) in my lights whenever any of the following occurs:

- I turn on the A/C in my house
- I turn on the washing machine in my house
- the compressor next door kicks on (for their nail gun and/or other tools)
Your washing machine causes a noticeable dimming of the lights? hummmmm..
Assuming the A/C is central and 240 volts would point to something other then a neutral problem.
Does your house have a 200 amp service?

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Do all the lights in the house go dim? Or just in some rooms?

Inside your panel measure the voltage between hot and neutral (any circuit breaker terminal screw and the terminal strip (bus bar) with the white wires on it, as the washing machine is turned on. How low does the voltage dip. After a few seconds turn the washing machine back off.

Repeat for the breaker directly below it and the breaker horizontally across from it. Do any voltages go higher when the washing machine is turned on? Does the same voltage dip happen for all three breakers?

I personally would not worry about a dip of less than 5% (6 volts) for less than one second.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Be careful, if you're not really nice you'll get a nasty PM.

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
being as the sub division is still under construction are you sure your on street power yet?
If they still have the temp running around through the place you could very well be dimming the lights any time a motor starts up and draws that extra little bit. I see it all the time at work.

·
Super Moderator
8,875 Posts

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
No wonder.
You are chasing him all around the web.:laughing:
Only one. And that was only after the nasty PM.
The rest were honestly just coincidence. :thumbsup:
You know how I stick to only one board. :laughing:

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
then i guess this would a good post to highjack for a completely off topic post.

anyone else notice the ad for "electrical handymen" at the top of the page.
I left my name name and number just out of curiosity :laughing:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Syptoms like this indicate a lack of adequate power,
It could be caused by loose connections,
Undersize wiring,
Or a poco problem.
This sounds like a problem for an electricain to sort out !

Are you sure all of your wiring is adequate in size
for the demands placed on it ?

Are all connections clean and tight ?

If you are sure on these two points !
Then it is time for an electricain !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts