DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does code require a dedicated 20 Amp GFI outlet in a powder room, just as is the case with a full bath?

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
If it has a sink and a toilet, then it is a bathroom, so yes it does. What I usually do is put the entire powder room on its own circuit (receptacle, vent fan, light)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave-

That was really my question. Does the code offer any distinction between a bathroom, which to me means a bath and/or shower and a powder room.

I don't see a need for an outlet at all in a 15 sq. ft. powder room. Frankly, I don't think someone could do their hair there if they wanted to!

·
6,520 Posts
Dave-

That was really my question. Does the code offer any distinction between a bathroom, which to me means a bath and/or shower and a powder room.

I don't see a need for an outlet at all in a 15 sq. ft. powder room. Frankly, I don't think someone could do their hair there if they wanted to!
Quick answer, no, the code doesn't differentiate between full baths and powder rooms. Same holds true for bath fans, which makes very little sense to me (other than for odors). For remodeling purposes, run 12ga wire on a dedicated circuit for lights, fan and receptacles in your powder room. In new construction you could group all the baths' receptacles on one circuit, although I wouldn't do it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts