DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a retaining wall along my driveway (max height is 4ft), and debating between poured concrete wall or rear lip landscape block or lip wall type landscape block. See pic.

I'm also looking to put a fence on top of the wall, in which plan on bolting down the posts. Similar to the attached picture.

Suggestions on better solution? Also, for lip wall if based up properly, assuming won't mess up the fence during freeze/thaw (I'm in MN). A lip wall wall is placed on a compacted gravel versus 4 foot deep footing. That being said, that lip wall could & will shift around naturally as expected.

Attachments

·
Hammered Thumb
4,172 Posts
The main reasons I come across choosing poured vs. CMU is 1) look, 2) cost, 3) DIY, 4) space. Some people just don't like the look of chiseled/split face CMU laying at an angle upward. Most don't have the budget for poured. Most DIY lower height walls, which means CMU. If there is little space that needs maximized or sitting on a prop line, then poured usually helps being perfectly vertically.

With a fence above it, it should actually be installed just behind a CMU retaining wall. With poured, you could bolt it to the top, but should be designed with the pour to coordinate with rebar, and you may have to worry about rusted anchors blowing out the concrete at some point.

The slope of ground you're holding back might determine how much overdig you need to install a longer back leg of a poured wall footing, but at 4' it may not be much more than you'd want to dig out to install a CMU retaining wall.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
poured wall's kind of beyond most diy'ers ability let alone budget but block's easily built,,, easy to put fenceposts behind it when laying the block,,, many styles avail - pick 1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.