DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK gang,

I searched for information on Direct Buy and did not find any.

It sounds like Direct Buy would be a perfect fit for a DIYer.

So I am wondering if this DIY community has any experience with this entity? I guess I really would like to know if is just the big ripoff some people suggest, or are there really some advantages to using them for sourcing cabinets/flooring/furniture/appliances etc?

Let the bashing begin.:huh:

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
I got a $500 watch for $50, and a 5 piece set of Amelia Earheart luggage for $70.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
This is beating a dead horse...again.
Ron

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for the constructive post Ron. I sure appreciate your honesty.

You must be having a bad day given the quality and tone of your posts today.

I apologize to have inconvenienced you with this post but since I seem to have missed the previous discussions on Direct Buy you refer to. And since I couldn't find anything when I search that name, perhaps you the wise and experienced one can point me to those topics.

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Google "Direct Buy scam"
Jerry, I have googled those exact words. And that is why I am asking the question here.

I trust the sources of information from this website a lot more than I do the general public. So I thought I would get some input, good and bad, from some of the people who's opinion I respect.

And at least I can see where you stand. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Here's a link to a Consumer's Reports article on the company.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2007/09/with-directbu-1.html

Maybe it wasn't on this forum that this was discussed.
The short version is you walk into the showroom and either give them about $5000. for a membership or you get your rearend out and don't come back.
Ron

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Always willing to help our Northern brothers see the light.
Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
eh...

I've got to say, if you're doing major renovations, it's a good thing. If you're only doing little projects here and there, then it's not worth it.

Yes, membership is expensive, say 3 - 5k, but when doing an entire room remodel, you can easily recoup that money in savings. I say it just depends on your project.

·
Handyguy
812 Posts
I'll bite.
So, lets see, Willie paid about $5K for the privilege of buying a $500 watch for $50 and some luggage for $70. Seems to me he paid $5120 for a watch and a set of luggage.

My experience - My parents needed and were planning a new bathroom and a new kitchen. Full gut jobs each. They visited and were given a high pressure pitch, today only, cant come back if you don't pay sort of thing. No ability to do homework, ask anyone's opinion. I am doing the work on the projects. They bought so they could save. They are retired, on a fixed income. The renovations are being paid out of savings. The idea is that they fix up the house before they need to move out and into a retirement home or something so they can enjoy the upgrades. The house hasn't been remodeled in like ever.

First up - the bathroom. Lets see - Kohler cast iron tub. Final price was about the same as elsewhere. Tile, most was just pictures - found a designer elsewhere that helped with a plan. Faucets - wrong parts were orderd (valve body was for a different style than they picked out). Found the correct one cheaper online. Toilet - maybe 10% less. They wanted to charge extra to deliver the tub to the house due to size weight. That would have made it MORE EXPENSIVE than buying online or about anywhere else. I picked it up at their wherehouse so we could save something.

So, spent $4800 for membership as I recall and have saved maybe $30 plus the agravation of picking up the stuff myself and the wasted afternoon.

Moving on to Kitchen - Cabinets - Designer no help. They can take your ideas and plug them into a computer and generate a quote but thats about it. No help whatsoever in coming up with a cab layout. Parents went elsewhere for a design and took it back to DB for a quote. The quote at DB was HIGHER for the identical cabinets, same factory, finish, everything. Oh, and the independed guy would hold them and deiver to the job site when we needed them. DB couldn't do that nor could the even tell us an ETA beyond 6-8 weeks or so. Granite - you shop from a catalog. Parents found a local supplier. Ends up the local supplier does sub workd for DB and beat their price. Parents got to pick out exact slab the wanted. Faucet - price was beat at faucets direct online. Sink - who knows, got it through granite guy. Maybe they could have beathen that price. Flooring - Put in santos mahogany acquired locally. Could not have found much at DB beyond the stuff they have at big box stores, this floor is unique.

So - all in all my parents paid probably $6000 for a tub, toilet, a trim kit for a shower valve and a bath faucet. Add to that the headaches of dealing with them, Ug.

Do what you want. My experience is you can match or beat their prices on everything I have seen. They will come back and say they have better quality. Not really, a kohler tub is a kohler tub regardless of where you get it. They also do some monkey business like the matress companies do. You cant find the matress you saw at Macy's over at Boscov's - yea same mattress with a different label and name. I think DB does this on some stuff too to make it hard to comparison shop with some things.

bottom line - stay away.

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Amway still around? Got a number? Just kidding.

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said I have read alot of the negative feedback on the web, but there is still a part of me that was wondering if there are any deals to be had. But $4000 to $5000 is a high price to pay to find out. And that is why I asked the question here.

I asked, you answered, Thanks.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Glen Beck advertised them as worthwhile, so I looked into them. They wanted way too much personal information just to take a looksee, so I said no thanks. Any one that starts asking for credit card #'s and SS # worries me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My inlaws did the direct buy thing. $10000 over 10 years membership fee.

When they needed furniture they looked all over and narrowed it down to a mom and pop outfit and direct buy.

Direct buy was a bit cheaper but they had to pay for every little thing.
The mom and pop outfit worked out to be the same price.

Moral for me was why pay direct buy if you get to deal with a person who needs your business -and you don't pay a member fee.

·
Registered
955 Posts
DB, I met a guy who shelled out about $3500CDN for a membership. Said he saved large on furnishing his entire new house. Maybe he did
But to me real value comes in quality and selection and service. If I could walk through and recognize grade A items, name brand yes, I might sign up if I was doing a major makeover.
Then again I can buy a good BBQ at a pro store or go to CDN Tire or HD, and find the same brand but lesser construction and warranty.
I've rebuilt 3 mid grade ones, one is made locally.
Next one won't be a cheapo. I work hard I want to move up and I like to support the guys who support me with personal service.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The entire concept of "memberships" or "clubs" highly annoy me. Even at the grocery store level. It makes zero business sense in the end. For business and consumer. I hate it.

What it does do is make you feel like you're getting a better deal because you're a special "member".

Plus, they probably automatically withdraw fees from a bank acct or credit card. So, even when you stop using the service, they still keep charging. Some people are so passive, they'll just let it go not realising it or thinking one day maybe they'll use it.
Shop around, price compare..Then buy what you need. A membership is a waste of money.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a DB membership. The buy now or do not come back thing is correct. I shoppped around for prices for the items I wanted before I went so I knew if the membership was worth it. The first payment was around 3-4K for the first 3 years then a renewal price of $150 a year for the next 10 years. I recouped the first payment with the purchase of my kitchen cabinets. So very other thing I bought I saved some money on. Unless you have alot of items to buy the membership is not worth it. If you are renovating/building a house it is money well spent. If the item you are buying is a high mark up item then you will save alot of money (furniture, cabinets), if the item does not have much mark up in the first place you will not save that much. If you are looking for a 26" TV goto target, if you are looking for a 60" tv goto DB. The countertops I purchased through DB were much cheaper then HD/Lowes and the same sub installs them. Certian things I purchased there I saved a ton, others just a very small amount. The only thing I ever found cheaper somewhere else was a garbage disposal online but I suspect that the one online might have been a rebuilt unit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.