DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I am installing 16 new pot lights in my kitchen. 3" - GU10 with 50w Halogen lamps (Dimming). The attic above is insulated with 3 layers of fiberglass bats, so I'll need to provide heat protection. The covers I've seen are big and bulky and cost way too much ($17.ea) and there is very little clearance in the attic.
So I have two questions;
1. Can I build my own boxes out of fireproof Roxul (or something else), and if so, what should the dimensions be to protect the 3" pot light housing?

2. If I buy 9w LED - GU10 lamps, which equals 35w output, do I still need (according to code) to have insulated (Heat) covers as there is virtually no heat. And would there be an insurance issue going this route?

Thanks for your help,
PTChance

·
Registered
854 Posts
What housing are you using?

Can you find an IC (Insulation Contact) housing for your application? It would be much easier.

If the fixture is not rated for IC then no, it's not code to install it in contact with insulation. You may change the bulbs to the LED's but what about the next person? It would be a potential fire hazard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pot Lights

I have a 3" recessed lighting kit made by Commercial Lighting, purchased at Home Depot. They are not I/C approved and Home Depot suggests I buy an additional cover ($17 ea) to protect heat from insulation. There is no room in the attic to do this, nor room in the budget, as I have 16 lights to install. All of the I/C units I've found online are too expensive. It looks like I will have to take these back and find a chinese LED contact online to solve the heat issue and stay within budget.

Thanks,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Making your own wouldn't be advisable. Even if it was comparable to commercially available products the one you make would not be listed or approved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pot Lights

Thanks for your insights. It looks like I'm taking these Halogen lights back to Home Depot and getting LED lights instead. Hope to find a good deal on 16 lights online.

Thank-you all for your help.
PTChance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts