DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thy is true, I just am trying to picture something 11 feet in the air on 4x4s and it seems spindley and wobbly.
wobbly really? maybe i should make it not as tall then. But yeah i would do 2 post like the first pic above... or even have the 2 post up. cus lets say 3 ft of 4x4 two times and plot them above the post to make a T. then connect and make my top. lots of options

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd like to hear what other members say but I would use 4x6 posts more for aestethic reasons than structural. 4x4 just look very skinny when you get to that height.

·
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
1,543 Posts
I'd like to hear what other members say but I would use 4x6 posts more for aestethic reasons than structural. 4x4 just look very skinny when you get to that height.
I agree. But the picture showes 6x6's that will keep it from shaking. The 4x6 or 6x6's i would set in concrete, which is what was said above (Tar and wrap the bottom of the posts) buy the time these rot out you will be long gone :laughing:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Was at Lowes checking out the 6x6 post plus others for my DIY project. How does pt lumber look sanded and stained? Or better to paint it? I would like it to look nice. This will be an awesome DIY project.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts