DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another tool I’ve never heard of before.

Talking with my Ohio visitors last week I said neighbors removed a 30’ section of their fence an I now have a gap and want to replace it with my own fence. But my arms aren’t strong enough to use a post hole digger.

He told me I could rent one with a motor. I haven’t called around to see if we have them here.

But I wonder if the motor would add extra weight an it would still be heavy to use.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Senior, thanks. Oh my gosh. Not what I expected. Laughed when that lady said about those things twirling people around. I was thinking it’d be like a little trolling motor.

Since it takes 2 people I wouldn’t risk daughter being hurt. Sometimes you just gotta hire someone.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,881 Posts
Senior, thanks. Oh my gosh. Not what I expected. Laughed when that lady said about those things twirling people around. I was thinking it’d be like a little trolling motor.

Since it takes 2 people I wouldn’t risk daughter being hurt. Sometimes you just gotta hire someone.
Ayuh,....... Rent a one man unit,.....

Much easier to work with,......

·
retired framer
44,263 Posts

That is what I figured you would say. :biggrin2:

·
Usually Confused
7,255 Posts
They are cumbersome to use because you have to start high and you have to be strong enough to counteract the torque, particularly if you hit a stone, etc.

There are one-person augers; I used one once and don't recall having any problems, but I don't think I hit anything and it was a long time ago.

(Stock image - I don't really recall what the one I used looked like)

·
Knows Enough to be Danger
678 Posts
I helped a buddy run a two-man unit several years ago. It went fast, but it was tough to hold onto, and we're both pretty big and strong guys (especially at the time)

Do you happen to know anyone with a skidloader? You can rent the post-hole attachments for those things pretty cheap.

I've never run the one-man units, but I'm guessing that'd be a little out of your wheelhouse as well. The maneuvering, all that jazz.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Probably would be dubious of this one also. And not strong enough. But appreciate the videos.
As Bondo suggested, those tow behind units are easier to deal with if you have the room to get them where needed.

Best thing to do is visit the rental yard and see what options they have. Sand is a heck of a lot easer to auger than clay/rock

If you don't want to go with the traditional auger, in your area you could probably punch the ground a few times with a bulb auger that attaches to a drill. Pic is of one at home depot for under $20:

Attachments

·
Still learning every day!
502 Posts
The one-man tow-behind augers are awesome... at least the one's I've used. Even when hitting a serious piece of underground pipe or a large tree root, they simply don;t go down any further -- they do not lock up and torque the tool around, and they have plenty of power to cut through hard clay soils. With the motor acting as a counterbalance, they are easy to control and do not demand a lot of physical strength from the user.

They are also more expensive to rent, but well worth the slightly higher cost.

·
retired painter
10,940 Posts
Do you happen to know anyone with a skidloader? You can rent the post-hole attachments for those things pretty cheap.
They also have post hole diggers that connect to the 3 pt hitch and PTO on a farm tractor.

The thread's title kind of threw me for a loop, never heard of a motorized post hole digger although I'm familiar with augers :wink2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The first one I had was actually (I learned later) a one-man ice auger for winter fishing. For dirt and sand it was terrific, for rubbery roots not so much.

·
Registered
740 Posts
On my property there is no way a large auger on a trailer could be manuevered into position much less a vehicle with PTO and a bit so I have relied on powered auger tools for holes up to 10" in diameter and 36" in depth. The gotcha with the ones I have used is that they are simple tools with a centrifical clutch that engages when the engine reaches a certain RPM level and so there is no gearbox as such and so no reverse. When I have hit a tree root and need to extract the auger it is exceedingly difficult to do so.

I rented a powerhead and auger bit for large jobs but finally bought my own Thunderbay powerhead with a 6" auger from Lowe's for $250 which was a great deal as the auger alone sells for $70 or more. The 6" diameter was what I wanted for 4x4 wood posts and 2.5" steel posts for fencing and short retaining walls.

·
Naildriver
12,109 Posts
Second on the beam type one person digger. Just be careful where you dig. In any unknown situation, you need to call 811 for a location service, which is free. You don't want to dig into a 12,000 volt primary, or a water main.

Such was the case at our local college. I called in 811 and they located gas, water, power, phone and marked it accordingly. We were digging in a blank space and something told me to pull up. The blue tracer wire came up with the auger, indicating the 2" water main to the college was directly below. I used my hand to dust it off. Marking was in error and we were lucky.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,109 Posts
What was that yellowish pipe at the bottom of the pic?
You know, I never asked. I was still shaking when I had my guys cover the hole back up. :eek:

As we finished the deck, we dug the last footer for the steps and the auger pulled up the fiber optic for the entire college. Well, two pieces of it !! Electric Company came and apologized for it. I told them "I" tore up the wire. They said "yeah, but we didn't mark it". Praise God for small things.

Reactions: Nealtw
1 - 20 of 38 Posts