DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I have a deck on the front of my cottage, about 7 feet high. It's supported by 6x6 pressure treated posts sitting on sono tubes.

I absolutely HATE the look of the posts, I have seen a few home improvement programs that showed covers that look like stone. I can't find them ANYWHERE locally )-:

So, I'm considering using something like armour stone or fusion stone to clad the posts.

Any thoughts on how to best do it? Can I attach the stone directly to the posts? Or should I build a cover from a different material before using the stone?

ANY other creative ways to cover up butt ugly posts and/or sono tubes please feel free to chime in!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Not a lot of info but may give you some ideas and links.In this area I usually trim them out with some fancy details and wrap with coil stock.Mostly for economic reasons more than aesthetics.They still look nice and are way less expensive.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Got a picture?
Coil stock can not be in direct contact with pressure treated wood you would have to pad them out with regular wood and ACQ approved fasteners making sure to not have the wood or coil stock in direct contact with the concrete.
Just to small to use stone.
I've use 1 X 8 vinyl lumber and added post bases and caps, looks like wood if you use the lumber with the wood grain on one side.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
My comment about the ideas and links was from a gogle link that did not show up.
I just googled "porch post covers"

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
It's faux stone, and post wraps if your trying to search.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

SORRY!! I should have been more specific, I don't have pic, cottage is 2 hours away, will grab one next time I'm up there. I guess the problem isn't finding the covers, it's finding them locally. I'm in Ontario Canada, hard to find someplace local.

Deck is 20 feet wide and 12 feet deep, basically runs across the front of the cottage. About 7 feet high supported at the front by 6x6 PT posts.

I kinda thought the armour stone would be too wide, but, didnt know if I had other options )-:

I sure appreciate the info and links, will serif I can find a local supplier and keep digging.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
n2omichael said:
Thanks Guys SORRY!! I should have been more specific, I don't have pic, cottage is 2 hours away, will grab one next time I'm up there. I guess the problem isn't finding the covers, it's finding them locally. I'm in Ontario Canada, hard to find someplace local. Deck is 20 feet wide and 12 feet deep, basically runs across the front of the cottage. About 7 feet high supported at the front by 6x6 PT posts. I kinda thought the armour stone would be too wide, but, didnt know if I had other options )-: I sure appreciate the info and links, will serif I can find a local supplier and keep digging. Thanks!!
Ps: what is coil stock? Not sure if I have used it

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Coil stock is a roll of aluminum stock that can be bent on a siding brake to any profile you have the ability to do.In this area and your's it's typically used to wrap wood window and door trim and posts to make them more maintenance free and have a better appearance.We trim out a lot of wood coloumns and wrap them with aluminum to save some money ,make them more aesthetically pleasing and maintenance free.For a while.It's budget friendly in this area.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Nothing against coil stock, I use a ton of it, but it takes a $1700.00 brake to bend it right with a sharp edge and can not be in contact with pressure treated lumber or the finish will bubble up.
What's the chances a DIY is going to have a brake or have one they can even rent in a rural location?
A roll of coil stock is about $80.00.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol

Actually, I work for a company that makes steel doors, jambs and facades, I have used tons of CNC and non CNC brakes,Amada, All Steel, Wysong, I've used them all. Never really thought of using metal, although mirror polished stainless might look cool

Yes, I did ask for opinions and options, so, I welcome all input, I appreciate it guys (-:!

·
Usually Confused
6,537 Posts
I've seen Paul LaFrance use faux stone post covers on his HGTV show (Decked Out/Disaster Decks) and he is Toronto based so it must be available up here. I can't remember the name of his Company. It looks nice on tv but probably not cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Ron,

aluminum would work, but, I like the look of faux stone. Eventually I would like to cover the lower half of the building with fusion stone also.

I have seen Paul LaFrance use the post covers too, not sure where he gets them? He uses some pretty cool stuff (-:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts