DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fiberglass shower on a second floor that has sprung a leak - see photos below. Can I repair this from the shower floor, and if so, how do I remove the lock ring, because I do not see any cutouts to position a tool.

The lock-ring that is visible from the top of the shower reads:
Caspers Industries Oakland CA
No. 101-PS
ABS IAMPO
Use glue only. Warning: Do not use oil base sealant or overheat caulking material or overtighten lock nut. May cause drain to break or destroy.
I did a search, and it looks like that drain is now made by Oatey.

It is the wording on the drain that says "Use glue only" has me wondering if removing a glued in drain is going to destroy the shower floor. I am OK with opening the ceiling below to access the pipes, if that is required to achieve a repair.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Yes, I agree with you, I would open the ceiling below to make the repairs. The lock ring is on that side. It looks like the lock ring came loose and rubber gasket is no longer sealing drain. Could just be the pic. Just an observation.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
If you do open up the ceiling below to make the repairs, I would also add support to that drain/drain pipe some more. Overtime, the weight of people taking showers is right on that drain. It could be what is making it work loose and causing it to leak. idk. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done tub drains but not shower drains. For this fix, am I buying a new drain and replacing all of the PVC that goes into the trap?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If it was me I would cut the pipe install a no hub and replace the trap as well. I would think it would be easier then trying to tie into that cast iron trap. Really not sure how it’s tied in now. Maybe I’m missing something but it just looks like it’s stuck in there. And a new one would leak for sure without addressing how it ties in to the cast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
I'm sorta embarrassed to offer this idea/discussion... as it is really hack.... but sometimes hack works......

any chance that rubber sealing material on TV might seal up that whole/hole mess....??????

EDIT: I've never used the stuff, but kinda interested in how well it works... seems to seal tight, adhere well to most all material, and remain flexable, good attributes at least for this possible application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts