DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I turn on my ac for the first time this year. I notice it's not cool. I also notice outside compressor fan is not turning, but buzzing. I replace the fan. It works great, however still no cooling. I take the capacitor in to be checked. It's a dual and it's bad. I replace the capacitor. Still no cooling. I remove the fuse by the outside unit. I look beside the capacitor and notice what looks like a junction box(is this the relay I have read about?) It's where all the wires seem to join. I remember there was a reset button of sorts on this, but it is already in the "in" position..but when I touch it I feel a buzz...not sure if this is normal. I also have noticed that when I run the unit for a bit, then remove the fan that the compressor is not even warm.
So either the compressor is shot or it's just not starting. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated...at least it's going to be cool here a few more days...:)

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
Ok, so I turn on my ac for the first time this year. I notice it's not cool. I also notice outside compressor fan is not turning, but buzzing. I replace the fan. It works great, however still no cooling. I take the capacitor in to be checked. It's a dual and it's bad. I replace the capacitor. Still no cooling. I remove the fuse by the outside unit. I look beside the capacitor and notice what looks like a junction box(is this the relay I have read about?) It's where all the wires seem to join. I remember there was a reset button of sorts on this, but it is already in the "in" position..but when I touch it I feel a buzz...not sure if this is normal. I also have noticed that when I run the unit for a bit, then remove the fan that the compressor is not even warm.
So either the compressor is shot or it's just not starting. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated...at least it's going to be cool here a few more days...:)

Check the terminals on the bottom of the compressor( make sure power is off) You may have a terminal burn off the compressor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing this is different from where the 3 wires run into the compressor, correct? because I dont see anything running under it....

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
It should have a small plastic cover over the wires.. On the lower side. not under on the botton.. Guess I should have been a little more specific.. That reset button ( as you call it) is probably the contactor.. Buzz sound is normal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked it...looks like the wires run into the rubber cover. I wedged it off and gave a quick inspection...looks good. We are going to get some compressed air and blow out the area where the contactor is at since he looks pretty dirty. Maybe it's preventing a good connection. Whats the best way to tell if the compressor is running...do I need to disable the fan so I can actually hear it?

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
you should be able to hear it. If the contactor is pulled in .Check the wires at the compressor with v.m. You should get 110 v per leg for a total of 220 v. Did you wire the cap. back correctly ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, blew it out. I shut the power off at the breaker before I did. I also noticed that the button on the contactor was out after I did that and was back in again after I turned it on. Still not cool. I'll check the voltage as you suggested since I definately cannot hear anything but the fan turning.
And I appreciate the help....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so after further reasearch, it appears I have a leak on one of my coils on the inside of my outside unit. The compressor seems to be working fine. I disconnected the fan and when I turned the unit on I could hear a hissing sound...and I could feel air coming out of one of the coils. This unit is only 7 years old...is that normal??? Is this a repairable thing or am I looking at replacing the unit??? This sucks....:mad:

·
Administrator
41,641 Posts
Sometimes they can be repaired.
Sometimes they can't.

Need a tech to look at it, and see if it can be repaired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I had a tech come out. The leak is in the copper. Here's what he said. $145 to repair and see if system will hold a nitrogen charge. If that works, an additional $500 to refill with R22 refrigerant. If it doesn't work, $3000 for a new unit. This is a 2 1/2 ton unit. Do these prices sound correct????
And again, thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

·
Administrator
41,641 Posts
Is that 3000 for replacing both the outdoor and indoor unit, or just the outdoor.

His other prices sound fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$3000 for the outdoor unit....but it would be changed out to the 410(I believe that is right....not R22) which would involve replacing the coils in the inside unit too...

·
Administrator
41,641 Posts
Have to have matching outdoor and indoor unit( or at least a matching indoor coil) to get the outdoor units rated efficiency.
Weather its R410A, or R22.

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
My opinion,,For that price on 2.5 ton you should get evap. coil also_Of course, I have also seen $6500.00 for 2.5 ton condenser & evap . installed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts