DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a metal roof in my shop and I'm putting in a wood stove. I am using a rubber boot flashing around the triple wall. My question would be. Should I put put the chimney through the flattest part of the metal roof or on the ribs. Anyone have suggestions or experience in this matter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In New Zealand we have lots of metal roofs. (I design houses and sheds for a living). For a stove pipe we always make a flashing first that goes over the metal roof. This runs from under the ridge and past the stove pipe by a foot or two. This flashing is made wider than the stove pipe by a rib or two each side, and the flashing folds down over the rib each side, and is cut and folded into the pan at the bottom.
Then the hole is cut in the flashing for the pipe
Then you put the boot flashing on top of the flashing.
We always put the boot flashing at 45 degrees to the roof (diamond shape)

·
Registered
290 Posts
In New Zealand we have lots of metal roofs. (I design houses and sheds for a living). For a stove pipe we always make a flashing first that goes over the metal roof. This runs from under the ridge and past the stove pipe by a foot or two. This flashing is made wider than the stove pipe by a rib or two each side, and the flashing folds down over the rib each side, and is cut and folded into the pan at the bottom.
Then the hole is cut in the flashing for the pipe
Then you put the boot flashing on top of the flashing.
We always put the boot flashing at 45 degrees to the roof (diamond shape)
Like this:

Attachments

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
What kind of metal roof do you have, and what is the OD of the flue pipe. Trapezoidal Structural standing seam roof ribs are 24 inches on center, Architectural rib centers vary. Normally you would run the flue through the center of the pan, and put an EPDM Boot type flashing on the pipe that has an aluminum compression ring at its base. The base is set in butyl water cut off mastic and the ring is fastened with fablok or bulb tite Rivets. If the flue is too big you need an apron flashing. We need more info.

In the commercial metal roofing business in this country, the roof shown in the photo by MGP is known as a "Crap Lap" roof due to the exposed fasteners, which always eventually leak due to egg-holing of the fastener holes in the panels, especially with dark colored panels due to thermal movement. They usually start to leak in about 7 years.

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
No felt or rosin seized paper? Wait till those iron nails in the deck react with the panels. :huh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts