DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we have a room upstairs where during the summer it gets absolutely stifling hot in so I wanted to add a portable AC unit (can’t do central) but I am not familiar with the options we have for fitting the vent in a sliding window. Any one that has done this can you let me know if it can be any portable unit or are there more specific ones for these types of windows. Picture attached for reference. Thank you!

Attachments

· Registered
575 Posts
Most units will work. You may need to cut down the vent plastic as I believe it's usually designed for taller windows... But that's pretty easy. They are designed to slide to the correct window height, and 1 or 2 cuts will make it work.

· Registered
6,508 Posts
You have your window measurements when it's open, so get a small unit to fit in and fill the gaps with fillers (be creative: Plywood, foam board, or other materials).
Remember to support the a/c portion hanging outside, with brackets or a shelf.

· Registered
920 Posts
Just a little tip about those portable A/C's. Try to find one that has 2 hoses going to the window instead of just one.

The one duct kind (like in the other picture) takes conditioned air from the room and blows it across the condenser and then outside. By doing this, it brings your space into a a slight vacuum, which will cause hot outside air to try to migrate into the room through any cracks or small spaces that it can find.

The 2 duct kind keeps the condenser section completely separate from the air in the room, so they work better and are more efficient.

· Registered
13,639 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.