DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice DIYer and need some advice. I am trying to hang a 4ft porch swing parallel to 2x6 ceiling joists. The 2x6 joists span 6 ft and are spaced 16 inches. So, can I safely secure the swing to a single 2x6 joist with two 1/2 in x 5 in eye hooks? Do I need to sister the joist?

I am also concerned that the rocking/swing motion perpendicular to the joist is unstable (this section doesn't have any blocking or a strongback). But, I honestly don't know much about this stuff.

It is awkward to add blocking from above in this narrow section of attic so I am trying to keep it simple. And I hate to pull down the finished porch ceiling from below.

The swing is only wide enough for 2 people and probably wont get a lot of stress/motion - probably gentle rocking with 2 people drinking cocktails.

Thanks. -Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would add two pieces of 2x6 solid blocking, one at each end as close to the point load (screw eye location) as possible. This will support the joist from twisting. Otherwise, everything should work fine. You are not overloading the 2x6 ceiling joist because it only spans 6 ft, and your point loads are near the ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.