DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to have my 4'x14' front porch extended to a 10'x21' bringing it to the end of the house. I'm wanting to have a gable roof to match the second floor roof styles but I don't want the pitch to cause issue with the existing windows. Our door is offset and then there's open space in the middle of the second story that we're hoping the new roof will offset in focus. I'll be bringing in roofers to take care of all shingling, the issue I'm having is the best way to tie the new structure into the existing house so that it doesn't appear added on... A little help? Here's a picture of the house (in yellow) as well as a picture I found as an idea. I'm just trying to figure out if I should leave it flat over the garage and do a small pitch above the door and just stop near the window, or make it one long gable the length of the porch. I've tried using Chief Architect and Sketch Up, but I'm struggling with using these programs. Is there a place online that I could go to have a drawing done of my house with various porch options to help me with deciding what my remodel should look like? IMG_3478.jpg

image1.jpg

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
In order to get a gable over that porch the peak is going to need to be centered between the two windows. Something along the lines of the second picture would work.

I'm not aware of any online resources. The old way might work best. Get the cars out of the drive, take a full frame image of the front of the house straight on, convert to monochrome, make printed copies and draw the various options on the copies.

If I have time I will try to post a photoshopped example image for you later today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts