DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a porch with exposed rafters from below in which the bearing beams will also be visible. I’m leaning towards Douglass fir to maintain minimal wood check& shrinkage. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
retired framer
42,880 Posts
I’m building a porch with exposed rafters from below in which the bearing beams will also be visible. I’m leaning towards Douglass fir to maintain minimal wood check& shrinkage. Any thoughts? Thanks
Dry before you buy is the important part about avoiding checks and warped, fir can be as bad as any when you put it up wet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dry before you buy is the important part about avoiding checks and warped, fir can be as bad as any when you put it up wet.
I didn’t realize that it has to be installed dry! It will deserve some moisture even after it’s built. Grr!

·
retired framer
42,880 Posts
It will see some moisture after it’s built.
That isn't what usually causes issues, it is usually when you cut down a tree, cut it into lumber and all the stresses relax as it drys.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,027 Posts
It's expensive, but I like DRY Redwood for exposed porch rafters.

And framing.

It is naturally ROT RESISTANT, so it don't need pressure treated,

Just be picky, when selecting your material, no obvious cupping, warped, or twisted stuff, comes on my project sites.

ED

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Ambient moisture is fine although not if you're saying it will leak. Drier is better (sometimes if the stock was sitting around long enough) but any lumber, when nailed into a beam, shouldn't twist and warp into an eyesore. I may be mistaken, so search and confirm. I think i read about treating the lumber with wax type preservative makes it dry slower so less damages. You probably will have to hand select all rafters and other lumbers anyway for looks. Rafters will need full blocks to stop the twists.

Bridging can do the same and i think will add interesting design into the rafter bays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts