DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Porch corner sinking?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Nealtw 
#1 ·
Good afternoon. New member here. I am normally a DIY guy, but I had a large carport/porch project I wound up hiring out because it was beyond my experience level, and I contracted the concrete work separate from the construction. I had the porch poured with 12” footing all the way around and tied into the existing slab--but nowI’ve noticed that one side seems to be sinking during dry/hot times. All winter when it was rainy there was no gap above this post, or in the concrete, but when it dries out this happens.
This gap has appeared and gone away depending on the weather/time of year. Any recommendations from more experienced folks on how to remedy this would be appreciated. I figured if I close the gap it will pick up the roof during damp periods. I can tie in some trim to the actual roof structure that floats over the post, but I’m wondering if I need support under that corner , and if so how would I accomplish this without raising the roof?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Happens a good bit. The back fill dirt closest to the house isn't well compressed and water or time will cause it to sink.

I would look up "slab or mud jacking" companies near you.

https://youtu.be/inTMdUt41lM

I was considering something like this, but then I wondered if it would swell again in the winter and wind up raising that roof section. I guess I could call a place like this to discuss. My issue is that for about 8-9 months it seems good, but during the hot dry months this gap appears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.