DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIY Homeowner
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of painting my popcorned ceiling, as I was rolling it, some of the popcorn finish came off, leaving smooth spots on my ceiling. Is there a spray i can buy at Lowes/Home Depot that will fix it???
Or what do I do??
Thanks
Barry

·
Tired, Cold, and Damp
3,089 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmaybeeee...
It really depends on what size the popcorn is, how bad and/or where the repair is, and how good you are at technique

I think the company is Homex, they have a "Popcorn Spray"
It may be available at your local BigBoxes, certainly it's at your local Paint Store

If it's close to the right size popcorn, and you can wield the spray in such a way that feathers the repair to "make it look like it's supposed to be that way", then it may be possible to make an at least "acceptable" repair
-depending on your idea of "acceptable" (it will never be "perfect", that would require removal of existing, and if you'd like, re-application of the popcorn)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just for future ceiling jobs.........with a popcorn ceilings you take a chance of the popcorn coming off when you apply latex paint. Depending on the initial mix by the person spraying, latex can work but the safest bet is an flat white oil base. The oil base will not cause the popcorn to dislodge from the ceiling.

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
Slickshift is on the right track. There are aerosol cans you can buy that MIGHT work for a small area (never actually tried it, though). You can buy spray in a bag that you mix with water for larger areas, but you need a spray system of some sort. Homex has a relatively inexpensive (in the $50.00 -$60.00 range I think) sprayer you can hook up to a compressor if you have one. HD sells them. I can't say as to whether any type of paint applied with a roller will work on spray. Initial mix should have no bearing as it's just mixed with water and the actual amount of water shouldn't affect how well it adheres once it's dry. The best way to paint "popcorn" is to spray it (airless). It's definitely a pain as far as prep to do it that way. Probably why it doesn't get done much. I've done MANY patches on sprayed ceilings and very few have been painted, even in 20+ year old homes....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts