DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, I turn to the experts...

Seems like it's not my year for electrical motors... :(

About a year old Hayward Sand Filter... Motor seized up.. I apply power to it, I hear a hum and can feel the impeller trying to spin, but it doesn't go anywhere..

Found an identical motor with a busted impeller that works perfectly.. So, I figure I get that, swap out the impellers and we're golden..

Problem #1

The impeller is different...

OK Not so big a deal, I would think..

But my problem is how to get the impeller off without damaging it??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first picture is not an impeller. Its the cooling fan for the motor. Rear shaft mounted cooling fan.
Ahhhhhhh That makes sense... OK..

Here's the funny thing... A MacGyver moment, if you will...

As I mentioned, if I manually turn the impeller, I can fell it trying to spin.. So I thought, "Hmmmm How can I spin it faster"....

Answer: A lawn mower pull rope....

As my wife grabbed the phone and dialed 9-1 and stood by, I wrapped the cord around, powered up the motor and gave it a good tug...

Holy crap, it worked!!!!! :D

Motor spins like a charm....

But when I power it off, then back on, it won't go on unless I manually spin it, then it works fine..

So, I am thinking maybe a squirt of WD40 and leave it running for a bit???

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the starting capacitor needs to be replaced.
That's what gives it the kick in the butt to get started.
That sounds like something within my capabilities...

I put the motor back on the pool pump.. Took the back cover off and I can jump start it by spinning the cooling fan...

I assume that the Starting Cap is located in that box on the top of the motor??

·
Registered
337 Posts
I assume that the Starting Cap is located in that box on the top of the motor??
If the cap is bad, it will look slightly swollen on top. Usually an easy fix.

I have had more issues with pool pump motors than anyone should have. I now have 2 pumps. When one dies, I swap it for the other one and the bad one goes to the motor shop. It is never the pump, always the motor. :(

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
There are 3 parts to starting a single phase motor.

1) The start winding.

2) The start capacitor.

3) The start switch.

Rarely is there anything wrong with the singing if the motor will actually run.

As noted, the start capacitor can go bad. Sometimes they show it, sometimes not. They can be tested with a meter designed for the purpose or a known good one can be substituted. When choosing a replacement, the mfd (or µf) range needs to be pretty close. The voltage needs to be the same or higher but not lower.

The purpose of the start switch is to have the start winding energized while starting then de-energize it at roughly 2/3 speed. There are basically 2 kinds, centrifugal and potential.

If it's the centrifugal type, the switch and weights are located inside the motor in the back. If the motor is enclosed, it'll need to be taken apart in order to get to it. Sometimes it's broken, sometimes it just needs to be cleaned and lubricated.

If it's a potential relay (not common on standard motors), it'll be a small box with 3 terminals. There's no fixing these, they need to be replaced. On something that starts easily (like a pool pump) the new relay needs to be only close. On something that is hard to start (a refrigeration compressor), it needs to be really close......

If the pump motor is a 56J frame, then any other 56J frame will fit. Every dimension is the same except for the overall length. The impeller screws on to the shaft Right-hand threads) and be careful to not mess up the seal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a lot of great information, micromind. Thanx.. :D

Turns out that the motor, while working for several hours, finally crapped out for good... Replacement motor is due in today and now that I know that it's the back end fan that needs replaced, I should be golden....

I'll follow up once the motor arrives..

Thanx to all for the replies..

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
If the cap is bad, it will look slightly swollen on top. Usually an easy fix.

I have had more issues with pool pump motors than anyone should have. I now have 2 pumps. When one dies, I swap it for the other one and the bad one goes to the motor shop. It is never the pump, always the motor. :(
Not always. A bad capacitor can look just fine.
I always encourage anyone with a pool to use unions so the pump and motor can be removed without disassembling the pump.
Seems many folks can never get it all back together correctly. And no one keeps spare seals around the house.
If you use unions, you can pull both/all at once, take to repair shop and let them take care of the repair and reassemble.
They will have seals and anything required to put it back together or to take it apart correctly.
Then all you have to do is stick it back in, wire the pump back up and tighten the unions. Job done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.