DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Just a reminder be sure you have the circuit breaker off when you checking these things out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Stubbie, ok looked in the box - there are 2 separate connections each with about 4 bars on them, there 3 wires, one is blue, one is black and one is a yellow and green mix. on these 2 separate connections is says 230V in and 12V out. The black and the blue wires also go into two separate little boxes (10 x 38) and on these it says ZRB25 - 25A - 500V. Thats all I can tell you!!

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Hi Sharon

Well you have found your transformers for low voltage lighting. Being in Spain you are under the IEC wiring colors. So you really need to be careful as they changed colors in 2004 or there abouts. This is where a voltage tester would be nice. Unfortunately I think at this point you should get a expert in to figure out how they have done things. 230 volts line to neutral is not a voltage you want to get shocked by.

Your lights should be connected to the output of the transformers a simple voltage check on those terminals will tell you if they are putting out 12 volts. Or you could switch the output wires on the transformers going to the lights to see if one of the transformers is bad. This would mean the light that is now working would stop working. Can you determine which terminals are the output terminals? MY best guess is you have a transformer problem as I would doubt if the 230 voltage is good to one transformer and not the other transformer.

Best I can do form over here is the USA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Stubbie, thanks so much for all your advice, you have been really helpful. We will call someone in and anyway will let you know how it goes!!

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Your welcome Sharon

Gosh I wish I could help you more but you need a little help I think and I don't want to have you change wires without understanding what your doing. Not a place to make a mistake. How did you come about being in Spain are you native to the country?....I really liked it over there when I visited a few years back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Stubbie,

No we are from England, London. We moved out to Spain 7 years ago for a better, more quality life and have not looked back! We are in the Malaga area, where did you visit??

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
We were in Cadiz I think thats around the corner from Malaga...let me check...yeah looks like you guys are on the MED side of Gilbraltar. We went on to Portugal then back to where we started (England) and back home. You guys have some darn good wines.......:thumbsup: We did these 2 week vacations for a few years to Europe seeing selected cities then moving on by rail, air, or ferry to another country or city then returning to the USA.

I think you made a wise choice....:thumbup: Good luck to your family

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you!!! Cadiz is a couple hours drive from us - actually we've not been there! Been to Gib plenty times but not too keen on it there tho!
I see you reside in the 'sunflower state' - must be beautiful!

Any how if/when we get the bottom of the light problem I'll let you know how it was resolved!

Thanks again,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally the pool light problem has been solved!:thumbup: Chap came round from the pool shop and it turns out it was the fuse! So easily replaced and now hey presto it's working!:) Don't know how that it explains the light working intermittently tho! I'd have thought that once a fuse has blown the light could not have worked!?:huh:

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Don't know how that it explains the light working intermittently tho! I'd have thought that once a fuse has blown the light could not have worked!?
Me too but stranger things could have been going on. Yes in Europe they use fuses at the switches usually 5 amp ones that snap into small fuse blocks on the switch box. I actually forgot this (don't work much on your systems....:)) or would have suggested you check. Thanks for getting back and telling us what the problem was...it will help in the future.

As a side note you use 230 volts over there and we use 120 volts over here. The low voltage stuff like your lights are the same but that 230 volts will shake the morning dew off you... if you get shocked by it. So be careful around that stuff.

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll just ask "where are the transplanted brits living"..... I'll bet they will know.....:thumbup:

Take Care SharonW

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Stubbie .,, I know I am pretty late to join in here but senice the OP mention fuse in low voltage transfomer and Yes it is common in European verison and also it will be on the RCD {GFCI} breaker as well.

Merci,Marc

21 - 32 of 32 Posts