DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have brand new engineered hardwood floors that scratch VERY easily. Four days ago, I put on 2 coats of Minwax Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors with a satin finish using a lamb’s wool applicator. I allowed 7 hours of dry time after the first coat at 72 degrees, and 48 hours for the second coat to dry before walking on it.

My floor shows some streak marks (as if it didn’t get a full coat), along with a few bubbles. I didn't do any sanding beforehand or between coats (I was led to believe that it wasn't necessary).

I’m not sure how to resolve the appearance, but am considering using either a screen buffer or a polishing pad on a buffer, and then applying one more coat of poly but this time use a roller with a 3/8 nap. Your thoughts and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
You applicator was appropriate and I would not make the switch you indicated. That said, I believe you erred in not sanding but that shouldn't cause the issues you mentioned. My first thought is you did not get enough poly on the floor.

Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think a 3rd coat would hide everything? If so, should I apply with a roller or lamb's wool? Should I put down a heavier coat?

Here are some pictures. The last one is where I had some air bubbles. Nothing I can't live with, but a bit noticeable.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts