DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read a bunch of articles on the internet saying that it's difficult to put nice sturdy pocket doors in a 2x4 wall, and that you should try to beef it up to 2x6 if possible.

i'm in a situation where 2x6 would probably be a lot more difficult, so i'm wondering if anyone here has had a good experience putting pocket doors in a 2x4 wall, and if so, were there any details that helped ensure success?

thanks!

·
JOATMON
17,225 Posts
Yea....me.

If you do it right and use the proper kit, it works fine.

With that said.....I also installed 1/2" OSB strips between the pocket door braces. This stiffened up the wall quite a bit.

If you want pictures....browse through my 2-story addition project....the pics are in there somewhere.

Link is in my signature

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
there are a few different kits you can use... johnson kits are the most common.. however the issue with them is that the split studs tend to bow when the drywall gets painted.. either they bow inward towards the door which caused the door to rub on them or they bow outward making a large gap between the door and jamb. the best remedy for this is to sheet the wall with 5/8" plywood first on both sides then drywall ... ive installed roughly 150 of these kits...

there is another brand which ive installed teh brand name eludes me right now... the split studs they use are heavier gauge metal which dont bow however they are not filled with wood with portals for your to fasten trim to.... the steel is far to heavy to shoot to with a brad nailer so trimming them is a nightmare also the roller wheels are pretty much fully exposed once trimmed so you cannot hide them with trim

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Be sure to verify the wall where you want to put this is free from electrical wiring and what you might need for a header over the entire width. Any walls that "T" into the space you need will create a problem.

Bud

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I don't understand anyone having a problem with installing a pocket door in a 2x4 wall. After all, the kits actually are designed for that purpose.

I've used both the Johnson brand and the Stanley. In my opinion the Stanley ones are no where near as well made as the Johnson.

The thing I see done wrong most often is leaving the full trim off. That's generally why the wheels are still seen. You will notice that on the beach house door, I had yet to add the final trim.

Beach house Master Bath:

Main house Master Bath:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.