DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bottom of this siding always seems to get damaged (T1-11). I noticed some people repair the siding instead of replacing the entire sheet. They will usually just cut the damaged section out and splice in a new sheet with z flashing. What does this do to the building structurally? The T1-11 in my area is applied directly to the wall studs. It acts as the sheathing and siding.

·
11,730 Posts
That is acceptable, but it is not the prettiest thing, unless it's a place less noticeable. Set the saw to just 5/8" deep and if you do cut the paper underneath, put new paper in the slot and overlapping paper below for moisture rundown. Structurally, as long as one full sheet remains on each corner, and one every 25' away, you're fine. If 5/8", be sure to use 5/8" z-metal and caulk the ends. Be safe, GBAR

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

I talked to a contractor and he suggested cutting it under the frieze board right under the soffits. I was planning on doing this to one piece that has some damage. The sheet is at the corner of a gable structure. There will still be a solid piece on the gable end. Do you see any problems with this? I can replace the whole piece if need be.

Thanks

·
11,730 Posts
If the sheet is on the corner of the ground floor, replace the whole thing. Here is why, under wall bracing-- #3--.

And also read plywood diaphragms, scroll towards the bottom.

About all edges blocked: http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page009.htm Be safe, G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts