DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Hi There,
So these walls are required to be shear walls so the framers put plywood. In other corners the plywood of two walls meet each other. However at this corner, it seems the plywood start a little bit at the right, so leave a gap between the two plywood and expose some of the stud behind it.
The plywood actually start with edge nailing to a 4 by 4 post, not starting with most left 2 by 4 stud.
Wood Wall Flooring Building Hardwood

Is it ok? Will this make my house anti-earthquake ability weaker?

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,042 Posts
Hate to tell you very little will make your home earthquake compliant. It works out to be a best guess against the prevailing movement. A 2 is nothing, a 4 gets scary, and a 6 your home maybe standing when you get back to it.
What rule/law is the AHJ requiring you to build to?
How close to the fault are you?

The nailing seems a bit sparse and small for a shear wall.

·
retired framer
59,641 Posts
It looks to me like they tied the 4x4 to the foundation and made the wall to the right shear.
Did the engineer give instruction on how to tie the walls together? Does the engineer not have to inspect it again?

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Shear wall may mean exacting nail schedule and it looks like nails may be too close to the edge of that stud. Just guessing. I don't know anything about earth quake rules. The gap itself is fine but where the nails ended up could be problem. Nails are flush with plywood and that much is good. You can tell the carpenter to sink more nails but at an angle and more into the meat of the lumber.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shear wall may mean exacting nail schedule and it looks like nails may be too close to the edge of that stud. Just guessing. I don't know anything about earth quake rules. The gap itself is fine but where the nails ended up could be problem. Nails are flush with plywood and that much is good. You can tell the carpenter to sink more nails but at an angle and more into the meat of the lumber.
Thanks, I'm just more want to know if the plywood should start with this 4 by 4 as current, or it actually should start with the 2 by 4 which is to the left of the 4 by 4. But that 2 by 4 a partial is covered by the left wall plywood, maybe it's ok to skip the 2 by 4 and start with the 4 by 4 for this wall?

·
retired framer
59,641 Posts
Thanks, I'm just more want to know if the plywood should start with this 4 by 4 as current, or it actually should start with the 2 by 4 which is to the left of the 4 by 4. But that 2 by 4 a partial is covered by the left wall plywood, maybe it's ok to skip the 2 by 4 and start with the 4 by 4 for this wall?
They could have included it but I doubt it matters, the post is the end of the shear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts