DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still deciding on my decks. I just read about plywood decking (for waterproofing), covered with several coats of ACRYLIC POLYMER. I'm in the heat of Atlanta. The upper deck is in the sun, mostly shading the lower deck. But the book didn't go into a lot of detail. If it's being coated/sealed, it seems like it would be interior plywood.
Anyone have any experience with this? Recommendations? I'm just redecking the decks, and screening in the lower deck.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen residential plywood decking. Plywood siding, yes, decking no. In any case, you would not use interior plywood in an exterior application, I don't care how much paint you put on it, it isn't going to last. Possibly marine grade plywood would work, I would be curious to see a picture of such a deck.

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
I have no product knowledge, but my inlaws' neighbor has something similar to what you describe, although not exact. It's a flat "deck" built on sleepers on top of a flat roof. The plywood is coated with a membrane material that once cured, feels like a grit surface, like the deck of a fiberglass boat. Never saw it before or since, but it's been there for 7 years so far. Wouldn't be too great in snowy climes, but it seems to be holding up in the south. This deck surface was light grey in color, if that means anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with 2x6's. Ply is likely a valid way, but information is scarce....
I didn't write down the name of the book I saw, but this is basically what it said...
‘Plywood decks – calk + tape all joints, then roll on several coats of ACRYLIC POLYMER. Once cured, it forms a flexible but tough skin that is suitable for normal deck traffic. Granules ca be added to the last coat for texture.
(they also mention, like Ag offered - 'A heavy vinyl membrane is also available. Roll in place, heat-weld any seams. ' It comes in colors and textures)
Like most of these books, they mainly mention alternate things, and don't go into them. I took a photo of the 2 pages of text and pictures. I'll try to post them later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts