DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home in Calverton Li - use primarily Spring/Summer/Fall for long weekends - typically j2 of us there
home was originally one level - 2nd floor added and 1st floor remodeled
long before I purchased
I have noticed that when someone flushed toilet on 2nd floor
bubbles come up in the 1st floor toilet
I suspect the upper floor bathroom - which is on exterior wall opposite the 1st floor bathroom is not vented - cannot see any vent pipe thru roof on that side of building
also I cannot see a vent pipe for sink trap on first floor kitchen

In the basement where the drain pipes converge from the upstairs bathroom, 1st floor kitchen and 1st floor bathroom to the main cesspool pipe there is a pvc pipe that connects to what appears is a vent stack -
that pvc pipe is before the drain pipe from 1st floor toilet/bathtub/sink enter the main drain to cesspool
Plumber has come in and recommended extending a 4" pvc pipe from the area where all the drain pipes converge horizontally to side of building as additional venting
I asked if that would satisfy local codes - assured me it would

do I really need to get this fixed?

is the solution proposed by plumber appropriate?

would appreciate any comments/suggestions/

Thank you in advance tom Sheridan

PS - attempted to post photo of area in basement where ipies converge but had problems with e-mail - will try to attach later

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Yes, your plumbers logic makes sense. However, I would snake the toilet line and main line to sewer first. Suggest that to him and see if that helps, you may just have a partial blockage somewhere. Just to rule that out. Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
No doubt, as you mentioned, if it's an older home, the dwv is probably not up to today's venting code.

scroll down to manage attachments and post your pics there or post them to your photo album that way we can see them.

Hope you get it figured out and corrected soon tsheridan.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
"I suspect the upper floor bathroom - which is on exterior wall opposite the 1st floor bathroom is not vented - cannot see any vent pipe thru roof on that side of building
also I cannot see a vent pipe for sink trap on first floor kitchen"
- You may have a valid suspicion. What did the plumber say about this?
You will need to add a vent for the 2nd floor bathroom right up the wall opposite the 1st wall and through the roof.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to thank the people who responded to my question re venting

I also wanted to post a picture of the area where the various drain lines connect to the main drain to cess pool - see attachment

1st pipe on right - drain from 2nd floor bathroom - bath/toilet/sink

pipe in middle - drain from 1st flr kitchen sink/water softener discharge/ drain from sink/bathtub on 1st flr/ connection to vent stack on left

pipe on left - drain from 1st floor toilet

I will try AAV on 1st floor lavatory sink

thanks again for comments/suggestions

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.