DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a blockage in my plumbing line leaving a bathroom in my house. We had problems with the drainage from both the bathtub and toilet so we had the line snaked and then had a camera through the line. Two problems were identified: there is a belly in the line and there is a blockage (around 66') as seen in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kEFf7ZmNQc

I'd like to get some feedback on what types of repair would be typical to address this problem and, if possible, an estimate on the range of costs associated with such repairs. Trying to determine if the price I was quoted to do some deep digging and repair the lines is reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
11,645 Posts
You're going to get different feedback here, but I would jet the line first, then reinspect after it's cleaned.
As for price- that's hard to say. If the line is 2' deep it's obviously cheaper than 6' deep.

·
Super Moderator
21,077 Posts
I did not see any damaged pipes. I would have to agree. Jet the line and then have the camera run again. It looks like a lot of sludge or grease laying in the pipe.

·
registered
1,354 Posts
Yep hydrojetter with the scouring nozzle. Which will scour the walls of the pipes clean. Price not sure. I get the small town price from my guy. Other guys charge some money for the jetter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses to my original inquiry. The proposal we received was to jet the line by digging down @ 66' where the blockage was observed and then jetting out from both directions. Do you encounter municipalities where there are restrictions on how the jetting process must be done? For example, is it possible that hydrojetting will push the sludge into city sewers? If so, how do plumbers prevent this from happening?

My other thought is why cant you put the jet line down the drain line (i.e. - where the camera went) and blow it out that way? Will it push everything down the line toward the house?

·
Master Plumber
1,615 Posts
Did you say 66 feet or 6'.6" . and yes in most case you need to open up a line to properly jet a line, jetters clean on the way out of the line not in, when you retrieve the jet its fanning back and anything and every thing gets pulled back, however its not necessary to open at the clog you can open the line upstream at a shallower point, depending on whats in the line if its just grease and sludge you don't need to open the line but its takes alot longer to break everything up then push it out of the line, as for restrictions i can only speak for my area which we do not have any restrictions. how much are they asking for ?

·
Super Moderator
21,077 Posts
The reason for jetting is to avoid digging. Why not jet from the point where the camera was fed into the system? Then run the camera and see if you need to dig. Where I live the dig is 6-8 feet. If you live in a region where you only need to dig a couple of feet then maybe that is the procedure they use there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The blockage is at 66 feet down the line from the entry point where the camera was inserted. I'm unsure of the depth of the line (have a call in to our plumbers who did the work..I was not home at the time).

The price quoted, all in as described before, is pushing near $2k. I'm trying to determine if that's in the "right" ballpark.

Did you say 66 feet or 6'.6" . and yes in most case you need to open up a line to properly jet a line, jetters clean on the way out of the line not in, when you retrieve the jet its fanning back and anything and every thing gets pulled back, however its not necessary to open at the clog you can open the line upstream at a shallower point, depending on whats in the line if its just grease and sludge you don't need to open the line but its takes alot longer to break everything up then push it out of the line, as for restrictions i can only speak for my area which we do not have any restrictions. how much are they asking for ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in South Florida...not sure if the water tables here would have any influence on the depth of the pipes.

Also, if you jet the line going in (the camera was fed from the outside drain line) then wouldn't it be flowing the sludge into/toward the house?

The reason for jetting is to avoid digging. Why not jet from the point where the camera was fed into the system? Then run the camera and see if you need to dig. Where I live the dig is 6-8 feet. If you live in a region where you only need to dig a couple of feet then maybe that is the procedure they use there.

·
Super Moderator
11,645 Posts
From what I saw of your blockage- the guy jetting runs a risk of flooding your home. You don't know the condition further downstream - it may be just as bad 5 ft further. So where is all that water going to go?
It's nice to have a place to release the water, but if done with care may not be needed- IMO
As for the city- never been an issue with sludge

·
Master Plumber
1,615 Posts
seems a little high, we charge if we need to dig between 950 to 1200. digging a pit up to 3 feet down, then ether installing a clean out or re sealing the line. we do these a least 3 to 4 times a week. heres a picture of the splice after jettin a line on the last one we did, we do not use ferncos to reinstall the line, all hard fittings, pictures not going through

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Javiles
I'm new to the forum and have some restriction where I can't get the pic...can you send it via private message?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I would also remove the section of pipe with the belly and redo it with proper pitch.. Old plumbers saying **** go's downhill and it is a true fact... It also will not grow legs.

Bit the bullet fix it correctly or you will be repeating this expense in the future... A drain should hold no water in it. Jetting will not fix this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts