DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you DIYers!

This forum seems like an great resource.

I am designing a house for an area where electricity may not be reliable. Initially I will be off-grid. I will have a small generator, but my larger appliances (stove, space heater, clothes dryer and water heater) will use propane.

I am looking for references (books, articles, etc.) that identify best practices for plumbing for propane. Do you have any recommendations?

Is this the best forum for this inquiry?

Thanks for your interest.
neversay

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
I am looking for references... Do you have any recommendations?
Start with the NFPA and AGA and similar trade players.
And whatever the propane delivery dealers around there will expect.

a) Whether you're obliged to build according to code or not (where you are)
it's a rare job that won't be better for doing it all well.
b) Don't take on re-inventing the wheel.

hth

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
The International Fuel Gas Code has been adopted by many jurisdictions.

Reactions: neversay

·
Registered
740 Posts
Check the local codes and find tables that show the diameter of the line needed based on total BTU's needed and the length of the runs. A gas stove located 100 feet from the meter needs a larger pipe than one located 20 feet from it.

Make a floor plan to scale showing where the appliances will be located and add the BTU's needed for each.

If you use a standby generator the lines in the house do not need to change but you will probably need a larger than standard meter when you do get gas from the utility company.

When doing your house layout leave space for access to the propane tank as well as minimizing the length of the run to the house.

There are many special websites and publications available for those living off the grid and you should do as much research as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts