DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am about to embark on a bathroom project in which I need a little guidance. I am a fairly mechanical person so you shouldn't need to dumb-down your response :)

My Project:

My bathroom currently has bathtub that I am planning to rip out. The current plumbing is: Tub fill faucet, on/off and temp control valve, and an over head sprayer (basically a typical bathtub).

I want to rip this all out and install a walk in shower with 2 shower heads (one should be a rainfall over head and the other a wall mounted wand sprayer).

I want to be able to control flow to each of the shower heads independently as well as use them at the same time. Independent control of water temp is not required, I am OK with the same temp for both outlets (unless this is not natural and it SHOULD be independent; at your advise).

The part in which I am stuck is which parts I would need to complete this. I am replacing all the water feeds in the house with PEX (currently have old, leaking steel pipes) so I am comfortable with figuring out what fittings I will need to connect everything.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Josh

EDIT**

I plan on using mostly Hansgrohe finishes.

·
Registered
37,273 Posts
Sure hope you used at least 3/4 pex for the supply run all the way to the control valve. Going to to need the added flow for two heads.
Also go back and add your location to your profile, yes it makes a differance sometimes with replys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that advise, I will run 3/4" feed. It's a smaller home so they will be very short runs -- also have pretty good pressure.

·
Registered
37,273 Posts
Go one the Kohler web site to check out some control valves for two heads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I be looking at 2 separate control valves with volume control for each head at 3/4" with a "T" from the incoming?

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Normally with the kohler systems, you have a main control valve that controls temp and on/off, and then you have a diverter valve which selects between the two (or both at once) functions.

I'm not really sure how you could control flow rate separately though other than just on or off....

You will need a 3/4" valve that is sure, if you want to be able to use both at once. Check out kohler's site. Last time I looked at it, it was pretty easy to figure out.

·
Premium Member
11,718 Posts
Hansgrohe HG-T201 might be what you want- check the specs on it.
If you're ripping out a tub and going to a shower, you'll need a 2" drain. 95% sure you only have 1.5" to the tub. So you'll be doing some drain work as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts