DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I must protest painting with a huge brush. There must be more than one more excellent combo electrical/plumbing/heating contractor like the one that took care of my dad's house from the time dad was fully competent to the time his dementia forced him out. Contractor lives and and is based in a town of 2000, licensed in two trades for decades and is a very smart and even-keeled guy. I spent time with him on official school boy basketball courts. His biggest problem was always that he could not find employees who could perform at a small fraction of his standards so he was usually working alone. I can't say he never had a call-back, but it is difficult to get him to call at all because everyone prefers him to the competition. In addition to jobs dozens of miles away, inherently due to the rural location, I know that he sometimes works big jobs that are hundreds of miles away if they are of particular interest to him so he gets referrals far and wide. He deals with residential and big farms all the time and the latter are often more than not like dealing with industrial these days. On any particular day he is comfortable talking about a sizable three phase stand-by genset install with big underground propane storage that he installs on a property where he installed a septic system. On another day, in July, he might be dealing with customers on municipal water and sewage service, but he working on convincing them that they really need to replace that 50 year-old boiler before snow begins to fly. He really does not want to find time to fix their frozen pipes next January.

·
Registered
74 Posts
my toilets' are from the 50's and they flush fine. So I would not trust that kind of plumber telling you its because they are from the 90s. Seeing the work he has done has amounted to shitz :) A law suit might be in order. I suguest you get plumbing companies that will come out and give a written estimate as to what the prob is and how much to fix. Make sure the quote has parts and labor listed. Good luck!
No, the plumber got this right. Toilets from around the 90’s are known to be poor flushers. This was when the first wave of water saving toilets came out. They got better over the years to the point where they are now. Older toilets like yours from the pre-water saving era flush great,

·
Banned
14,584 Posts
Have you checked yet to see whether the tanks refill all the way up to the fill line on the inside of the tank, and that they empty at least most of the way when it they're flushed? If all it takes is dumping water in the bowl to make them flush properly, maybe they're just not getting enough water from the regular flush.
Yes, maybe the guy didn't adjust the fill valves properly to get the right amount of water in the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I had the balls to experiment with other peoples money. If I told someone I would fix the problem and told them I would only guarantee the fix if I could choose the products used, and the repair failed, I would feel obligated to continue repairs on my own dime until it was fixed.

Now, if I told them there “IS A CHANCE” using these specific toilets will fix the problem and I can install them as an attempt to fix this issue, and expressed there were no guarantees, I wouldn’t feel so bad at charging foe further repairs because I did not promise a fix, I explored a solution with the customers full understanding that it may not be the required repair.

So depending on what he sold you, and how he explained the problem to you, depends on how much responsibility he should be taking for this.

Why is it your responsibility to be out 1500 when he installed the wrong parts and failed to get you the results that he explained he would deliver? If he wants to gamble, shouldn’t he be gambling with his own money?

…. Again, unless he expressed beforehand that this was not a guaranteed repair but rather an expensive attempt at a solution. That would be a different story, but it doesn’t sound like that’s how it went down.

If there is still time to do so, You could call the bank and put a stop on the cheques you wrote to him. It’s really hard to get some people motivated to do anything after they have been paid. Refusing payment is in some cases the best motivator (unfortunately), but only do that if he guaranteed a repair for that trade. If you agreed to this attempted repair then I suggest you take his advice and call a real plumber.
[/
I wish I had the balls to experiment with other peoples money. If I told someone I would fix the problem and told them I would only guarantee the fix if I could choose the products used, and the repair failed, I would feel obligated to continue repairs on my own dime until it was fixed.

Now, if I told them there “IS A CHANCE” using these specific toilets will fix the problem and I can install them as an attempt to fix this issue, and expressed there were no guarantees, I wouldn’t feel so bad at charging foe further repairs because I did not promise a fix, I explored a solution with the customers full understanding that it may not be the required repair.

So depending on what he sold you, and how he explained the problem to you, depends on how much responsibility he should be taking for this.

Why is it your responsibility to be out 1500 when he installed the wrong parts and failed to get you the results that he explained he would deliver? If he wants to gamble, shouldn’t he be gambling with his own money?

…. Again, unless he expressed beforehand that this was not a guaranteed repair but rather an expensive attempt at a solution. That would be a different story, but it doesn’t sound like that’s how it went down.

If there is still time to do so, You could call the bank and put a stop on the cheques you wrote to him. It’s really hard to get some people motivated to do anything after they have been paid. Refusing payment is in some cases the best motivator (unfortunately), but only do that if he guaranteed a repair for that trade. If you agreed to this attempted repair then I suggest you take his advice and call a real plumber.
I happen to be a sprinkler man; sometimes a plumbing painter who repairs fences, gutters, and so on, who likes to fiddle with electricity from time-to-time. The idea mentioned here is that the bad guy of this story does not seem to know much about the Golden Rule. Not surprising given the state of public skoolin'. Godlessness ain't cool for good reason. Makes for stupid! Makes for thievin' and lyin'. Makes for people allowing for CNN to be on all the TV's in airports and hotels, and people getting uppity when asked to watch The Weather Channel instead or just turn off the TV! Low rent, poorest-of-quality losers who are proving evolution a weak thought! Romans 1:18-36.
I DO KNOW what it's like to feel a little small when something goes wrong or I needed a lesson in whatever-the-wingding I was doing. I have learned much, given some discounts off of low-rate-of-pay labor charges for the benefit of my clients because I felt that I owed them something for lack-of-perfection or at-best-acceptable. What does the Golden Rule tell us? It relies, just like the USA, on people having a fear of God, respect for self and others and the ability to be honest with the same people, and tell them the truth. Nobody's perfect, but that means less sleeping, some more study, and being a decent guy in some fashion. What do I know, and I don't even know if this story is for real! Too many people are thinking that if the president is a scumbag, then anybody who wants it bad enuff can be one too! It's not acceptable.
QUOTE]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
He is a big family man and at church every Sunday. I was thinking the same thing as you were, do unto others....then, also aware, that I shouldn't judge others. I decided to give it up with that vein of thought. I asked him for a copy of his license and asked him to break down the bills I paid so I could see what went with each day he came here, but he won't do that. I was laying in bed at night, not liking him. I'm going to try to move past it and handle myself differently next time.I was sitting on the front porch waiting for him the first time I met him. He and another guy got out of the truck and started walking across the yard. He said to the other guy, "Did you bring the plunger?" The other guy said, "No." "Did you bring the auger?" he asked. The other guy said, "No." I should never have let them in the house. I believe from all the help I got on here, that the problem is either something stuck in the supply line or that the vent is plugged up because I've read all of the advice I got here. I am very grateful for everyone's help. Thank you all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Yes, maybe the guy didn't adjust the fill valves properly to get the right amount of water in the tank.
The tank fills up very slowly on one of the new toilets and doesn't empty fully. I did what you suggested and that was good to know.I need to read up on how to adjust the fill valves, check to see if the vent is clogged, I think I do that with a hose and see if the supply line has something like rust stuck in it. Please see my reply to the last comment if you have time. I want everyone to know how much I appreciate the help. I've been flushing the toilets with water because neither one of them function properly. I have some remedies now to try and fix them. Before I came to this chatroom, I had no idea of what could possibly be wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
my toilets' are from the 50's and they flush fine. So I would not trust that kind of plumber telling you its because they are from the 90s. Seeing the work he has done has amounted to shitz :) A law suit might be in order. I suguest you get plumbing companies that will come out and give a written estimate as to what the prob is and how much to fix. Make sure the quote has parts and labor listed. Good luck!
I read this weeks ago and just read it again. I think that is an excellent idea.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had 2 weeks to find a house to buy AND move 350 miles away. This problem was undisclosed by seller. Both toilets over-flowed when solid waste is ummmm, in the toilets. Plumber told me that it was because the toilets were from the 1990s. He wouldn't let me chose the new toilets. He put in Gerber Viper ADA toilets. Problem was not corrected and the handles on both toilets go down half way sometimes and there is a weak flush then. One of the toilets runs for about 35 seconds before it shuts off. Plumber returned and increased the fall of the pipes in the crawl space by 20%. I've now paid near 1500.00 and I still have the same problem. The plumber said that he would look at the stack next. There are new pipes from the house to the road, no trees near the house and when the man looked in the cleanout he said it looked fine. I'f I put a cup of Dawn dishsoap in the toliets and flush with a pail of hot water, the waste goes down. Any ideas what the problem could be? Should I ask him to look at the stack? Thank you.
Vent may be obstructed. How do all the other drains in the house function?

81 - 92 of 92 Posts