DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
As far as the handle only going half way sometimes, it sounds like you have a Gerber Viper Dual Flush. Push the handle half way for a light flush. Push all the way for a full flush.
He didn't tell me that and I saw no box or information sheet regarding details! I don't think he knows that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The company was Maximum Performance I believe. They list the results on their website.
Okay, I read that. Good to know because I would rather not think the plumber tried to put one over on me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, I read that. Good to know because I would rather not think the plumber tried to put one over on me.
my toilets' are from the 50's and they flush fine. So I would not trust that kind of plumber telling you its because they are from the 90s. Seeing the work he has done has amounted to shitz :) A law suit might be in order. I suguest you get plumbing companies that will come out and give a written estimate as to what the prob is and how much to fix. Make sure the quote has parts and labor listed. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The company was Maximum Performance I believe. They list the results on their website.
Anybody remember the non-event called Y2K? I as a facility manager for a regional bank and we had procedures for everything, partially because we were government regulated and bank closures was not an option.

So we had a committee to work out solutions to imaginary problems. One was how to provide toilet services to bank staff who would be required to be at work. One person suggested putting a very large trash can in each restroom, filled with water, with a dipper so the employee could “flush” after depositing. Remember … commercial toilets have flush valves, not water tanks. So it became my job to test the theory. I got one of my maintenance guys and we locked ourselves in a restroom for the test. We took a package of fresh (uncooked) italian sausage, the kind that looks like giant hot dogs, stripped off the casing and put it in the bowl. Then took the dipper and dumped in water frommthe trash can to see if the pseudo-turd would go down the drain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
First, let's deal w the basics:

1. Licenses come from the State, at least in TX. Ask him for his License #/Certification. If he refuses, tell him you are reporting him to the authorities. Send everything CMReturnReceipt. This is to get your money back so you can go to point #2.

2. Go to your nbors, a church, grocery store, city hall, and ask for some references of a good, reputable plumber. Whatever name you get the most, chose him. Tell him your problem(s), and see if he can give you a potential solution and cost? Also, get your real estate agent involved in sellers disclosure. No one selling a house doesn't know the toilets dont work, unless you bought "As is". Didn't you have an inspection.

3. Since both toilets do not flush, either they were both installed wrong, or you have a main sewer line to your septic that is bad. You have to isolate the problem.

a). Put whatever you want in the toilet, take off the lid to the tank, and flush the toilet keeping your hand on the handle until all the water is emptied out of the tank. If it all drains, go immediately to the other toilet and do the same thing. If neither back up, it's not your main line. You can repeat going back and forth 1 more time to make sure.
b). If you flush your toilet by handle as normally, and one or both backs up, you have an issue w how your toilets were installed/configured
c). If one or the other back-ups while flushing w the tank top off, you have main line issue that needs to be scoped.

4. In Texas, you never see the same person as both a Policeman and Fireman; we also never see a licensed Plumber and Licensed Electrician as the same person.

5. Finally, haste makes waste...having to buy a house in 2 weeks ? Whoever made you do that, see if they will handle some of the fallout for such a quick decision.

6. Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
This was most helpful. You covered everything I need to do in the correct order. Thank you.
Yes do tell him you will report him, if at the minimum he doesn't fix it, with NO MORE ADDITIONAL charges! You can always also file in small claims court and tie up his day. The prospect of being reported and losing at least half a days work should provide him with incentive to treat you right.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
This was most helpful. You covered everything I need to do in the correct order. Thank you.
I was wondering if these two toilets are on the second floor or on the first floor of your home. The reason I ask, because second floor toilets may have a short turn elbow on the toilet flange. The short turn elbow is used because there is limited room between the second floor, floor and the first floor ceiling. The short turn elbows cause problems when solids are flushed.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I just can’t help but laugh at the irony of this situation.

On all the electrical forums I’ve been on they all poke fun at plumbers for “how easy their job must be”, yet this electrician can’t even get a toilet to flush. He should really post for help on the electrical forums I visit. They would have ALL the answers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I was wondering if these two toilets are on the second floor or on the first floor of your home. The reason I ask, because second floor toilets may have a short turn elbow on the toilet flange. The short turn elbow is used because there is limited room between the second floor, floor and the first floor ceiling. The short turn elbows cause problems when solids are flushed.
The toilets are on the same level (ground level) at different ends of the house.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Have you checked yet to see whether the tanks refill all the way up to the fill line on the inside of the tank, and that they empty at least most of the way when it they're flushed? If all it takes is dumping water in the bowl to make them flush properly, maybe they're just not getting enough water from the regular flush.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts