DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
After $1500, Why do I see the irony in this?
I wish I had the balls to experiment with other peoples money. If I told someone I would fix the problem and told them I would only guarantee the fix if I could choose the products used, and the repair failed, I would feel obligated to continue repairs on my own dime until it was fixed.

Now, if I told them there “IS A CHANCE” using these specific toilets will fix the problem and I can install them as an attempt to fix this issue, and expressed there were no guarantees, I wouldn’t feel so bad at charging foe further repairs because I did not promise a fix, I explored a solution with the customers full understanding that it may not be the required repair.

So depending on what he sold you, and how he explained the problem to you, depends on how much responsibility he should be taking for this.

Why is it your responsibility to be out 1500 when he installed the wrong parts and failed to get you the results that he explained he would deliver? If he wants to gamble, shouldn’t he be gambling with his own money?

…. Again, unless he expressed beforehand that this was not a guaranteed repair but rather an expensive attempt at a solution. That would be a different story, but it doesn’t sound like that’s how it went down.

If there is still time to do so, You could call the bank and put a stop on the cheques you wrote to him. It’s really hard to get some people motivated to do anything after they have been paid. Refusing payment is in some cases the best motivator (unfortunately), but only do that if he guaranteed a repair for that trade. If you agreed to this attempted repair then I suggest you take his advice and call a real plumber.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
If you still have the problem with the draining, get a sewer and drain company. They specialize in this type of work. They'll be able to do the auger and camera and whatever it takes to fix the draining issue. Probably better than a plumber and cheaper too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
what happens once you have a clog how does it get unclogged can you plunge it then it goes down? That should tell you something, if there is a blockage in the drain then the solid should be hitting that an backing up all your drains. Are the 2 toilets close to each other as one different floors but above or same floor back to back?

I would look at the stack as anything could get in there or if the house was vacant something could have nested there.

I would hire an actual plumber to come out and also talk to your agent about action against the seller if it was a known issue or not.
Getting a company out to scope the pipes would not hurt my BIL just had a blockage in his sewer line that backed up the whole house, fortunately it was from an upstairs shower and basement floor drain.
Cost him 175.00 for the scope and cleanout, he is in Denver your location might be helpful for others.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish I had the balls to experiment with other peoples money. If I told someone I would fix the problem and told them I would only guarantee the fix if I could choose the products used, and the repair failed, I would feel obligated to continue repairs on my own dime until it was fixed.

Now, if I told them there “IS A CHANCE” using these specific toilets will fix the problem and I can install them as an attempt to fix this issue, and expressed there were no guarantees, I wouldn’t feel so bad at charging foe further repairs because I did not promise a fix, I explored a solution with the customers full understanding that it may not be the required repair.

So depending on what he sold you, and how he explained the problem to you, depends on how much responsibility he should be taking for this.

Why is it your responsibility to be out 1500 when he installed the wrong parts and failed to get you the results that he explained he would deliver? If he wants to gamble, shouldn’t he be gambling with his own money?

…. Again, unless he expressed beforehand that this was not a guaranteed repair but rather an expensive attempt at a solution. That would be a different story, but it doesn’t sound like that’s how it went down.

If there is still time to do so, You could call the bank and put a stop on the cheques you wrote to him. It’s really hard to get some people motivated to do anything after they have been paid. Refusing payment is in some cases the best motivator (unfortunately), but only do that if he guaranteed a repair for that trade. If you agreed to this attempted repair then I suggest you take his advice and call a real plumber.
Exactly. And why I always collect on labor after I've finished to satisfaction.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have been hearing this BS for years. Low flow toilets work just fine. I have never had to flush any toilet more than once. I just make sure the tank fills sufficiently.
Both of my .8 gallon flushers work like a charm. Never clog or drain slow or have to double flush. Less than 1 gallon flush toilets a work at least as fear as the Niagra brand.

·
Registered
For pleasure Woodworking and Furniture Building
197 Posts
I'm not understanding something. If the toilet doesn't flush correctly with the handle BUT does flush everything with a bucket of water, that leads me to believe the waste/vent lines are fine and their is a issue with the toilets themselves. Why would you snake or camera a line if a bucket of water drains normally?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
what happens once you have a clog how does it get unclogged can you plunge it then it goes down? That should tell you something, if there is a blockage in the drain then the solid should be hitting that an backing up all your drains. Are the 2 toilets close to each other as one different floors but above or same floor back to back?

I would look at the stack as anything could get in there or if the house was vacant something could have nested there.

I would hire an actual plumber to come out and also talk to your agent about action against the seller if it was a known issue or not.
Getting a company out to scope the pipes would not hurt my BIL just had a blockage in his sewer line that backed up the whole house, fortunately it was from an upstairs shower and basement floor drain.
Cost him 175.00 for the scope and cleanout, he is in Denver your location might be helpful for others.
I'm in Blandinsville, Illinois, 61420.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is it customary for the plumber to choose the toilets? I was very surprised when he told me he had decided on the toilet because I was going to use Toto toilets just having had one in the past and never had any problems.
If the customer has no preference, sure. But it sounds to me like he had them lying around or got a great deal on them. Or both.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just wanted to say I’ve got four different toilets in my house. One is the Gerber Viper. It is my favorite, works like a chap. Flushes quickly and only takes about 10 seconds to refill. The other three are newer low flo’s and they all work well too. In other words, I wouldn’t blame the toilet if it’s set up right.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as the handle only going half way sometimes, it sounds like you have a Gerber Viper Dual Flush. Push the handle half way for a light flush. Push all the way for a full flush.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
First, let's deal w the basics:

1. Licenses come from the State, at least in TX. Ask him for his License #/Certification. If he refuses, tell him you are reporting him to the authorities. Send everything CMReturnReceipt. This is to get your money back so you can go to point #2.

2. Go to your nbors, a church, grocery store, city hall, and ask for some references of a good, reputable plumber. Whatever name you get the most, chose him. Tell him your problem(s), and see if he can give you a potential solution and cost? Also, get your real estate agent involved in sellers disclosure. No one selling a house doesn't know the toilets dont work, unless you bought "As is". Didn't you have an inspection.

3. Since both toilets do not flush, either they were both installed wrong, or you have a main sewer line to your septic that is bad. You have to isolate the problem.

a). Put whatever you want in the toilet, take off the lid to the tank, and flush the toilet keeping your hand on the handle until all the water is emptied out of the tank. If it all drains, go immediately to the other toilet and do the same thing. If neither back up, it's not your main line. You can repeat going back and forth 1 more time to make sure.
b). If you flush your toilet by handle as normally, and one or both backs up, you have an issue w how your toilets were installed/configured
c). If one or the other back-ups while flushing w the tank top off, you have main line issue that needs to be scoped.

4. In Texas, you never see the same person as both a Policeman and Fireman; we also never see a licensed Plumber and Licensed Electrician as the same person.

5. Finally, haste makes waste...having to buy a house in 2 weeks ? Whoever made you do that, see if they will handle some of the fallout for such a quick decision.

6. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Subsequently, I found a Canadian study (circa 2002?) where the researchers had diligently mimicked POOP using soy bean paste and then run tests on all the major brands of toilets. I wish I still had that paper to share with you all as it was hilarious the way they pre-tested and developed the artificial POOP, and I wish I could remember
The company was Maximum Performance I believe. They list the results on their website.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts