DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Are you sure those pipes are new?

I've done the Dawn/hot water trick plenty of times. Sounds pretty obviously like a pipe blockage of some kind. The only thing that makes me think it might not be is the weird "handle only goes down halfway" on the toilet thing.

The 35 second toilet fill might be normal due to lower water pressure where you are now compared to where you used to live. Especially if you used to have city water and now have well water.
If you dump a bucket of water in the bowl, it will flush, but not very strongly because the siphon jet is not doing anything. That's maybe why the Dawn helps.

I think the there is not enough water in the tank or the flush valve isn't staying open long enough or the flush valve is not opening wide enough.

Faulty installation could explain the fill time and the handle and the poor flush. It is consistent with the problem only being in the toilets. It is consistent with the plumber also being an electrician (i.e. probably a hack).

The only thing I can't figure out is how to explain the old toilets. But maybe they were just crappy 30 year old toilets.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If you still have the problem with the draining, get a sewer and drain company. They specialize in this type of work. They'll be able to do the auger and camera and whatever it takes to fix the draining issue. Probably better than a plumber and cheaper too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts