DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 2 weeks to find a house to buy AND move 350 miles away. This problem was undisclosed by seller. Both toilets over-flowed when solid waste is ummmm, in the toilets. Plumber told me that it was because the toilets were from the 1990s. He wouldn't let me chose the new toilets. He put in Gerber Viper ADA toilets. Problem was not corrected and the handles on both toilets go down half way sometimes and there is a weak flush then. One of the toilets runs for about 35 seconds before it shuts off. Plumber returned and increased the fall of the pipes in the crawl space by 20%. I've now paid near 1500.00 and I still have the same problem. The plumber said that he would look at the stack next. There are new pipes from the house to the road, no trees near the house and when the man looked in the cleanout he said it looked fine. I'f I put a cup of Dawn dishsoap in the toliets and flush with a pail of hot water, the waste goes down. Any ideas what the problem could be? Should I ask him to look at the stack? Thank you.

·
Man of many hats
689 Posts
The 35 second fill sounds like a supply line issue. Possibly an obstruction in the supply valve. I'm sure the plumber would have ensured that the valve was turned all the way on, but he should also have noticed if it was slow to fill. Definitely have the vent stack checked because both commodes aren't flushing properly.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Did the plumber suggest snaking the main sewer line?
Also, check the chain length from the handle to the flapper and adjust, if necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 35 second fill sounds like a supply line issue. Possibly an obstruction in the supply valve. I'm sure the plumber would have ensured that the valve was turned all the way on, but he should also have noticed if it was slow to fill. Definitely have the vent stack checked because both commodes aren't flushing properly.
'Thank you, Wrangler. I'll do that. Would the stack be clogged? Too narrow? It looks narrow to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the plumber suggest snaking the main sewer line?
Also, check the chain length from the handle to the flapper and adjust, if necessary.
The plumber has been here 6 times (He is also the electrician.) and everytime he said he forgot the snake and/or plunger. Which makes me think he doesn't think it is necessary. I went to Farm King and bought one. I couldn't get it to go down inside. It was a cheap one. I'll youtube how to adjust the flapper, but the old toilet did the same thing in that bathroom. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Does the toilet flush away solid material okay if you pour water into the bowl using a bucket?

Some toilets have a pressurized flush and you can identify them by lifting the tank lid and finding a plastic "sub tank" inside and no exposed water. If the incoming water pressure is too low then the pressurized system will not accumulate enough pressure to flush with.

Reactions: JERRYMAC

·
Registered
12,604 Posts
The 35 second fill sounds like a supply line issue. Possibly an obstruction in the supply valve. I'm sure the plumber would have ensured that the valve was turned all the way on, but he should also have noticed if it was slow to fill.
This would not affect drainage though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The handle only goes halfway down sometimes? That has nothing to do with the pipes. Something is interfering with something else in the tank in the back of your toilet. Your "plumber" put the toilet together wrong. I'm not sure why you keep giving this guy money.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It might be difficult to get a plumber to your location depending on where you live, but you could try finding a neighbor on NextDoor. If it's a water flow problem with the flush handle chain, you could try dumping a gallon bucket of water fairly quickly into the toilet bowl to see if that results in a normal flush. Also try someone else's toilet to get a sense of how much and how long water should be flowing from the tank into the bowl.

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
My two are from the 70's, I do not have this issue.
You apparently do know what the issue is.
Federal law mandated 1.6 gpf toilets starting in 1994 for residential. The were horribly weak flushing. It took the plumbing industtry a number of years to produce 1.6 gpf toilets That flushed well.

That is what the plumber was referencing whether he was correct in his assessment or not.

You should get rid of those 1970 water wasters.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Federal law mandated 1.6 gpf toilets starting in 1994 for residential. The were horribly weak flushing. It took the plumbing industtry a number of years to produce 1.6 gpf toilets That flushed well.

That is what the plumber was referencing whether he was correct in his assessment or not.

Thanks for your opinions, but I will keep our "water wasters" as we have no lack of water supply here, and cost is low.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
The plumber has been here 6 times (He is also the electrician.) and every time he said he forgot the snake and/or plunger. Which makes me think he doesn't think it is necessary. I went to Farm King and bought one. I couldn't get it to go down inside. It was a cheap one. I'll youtube how to adjust the flapper, but the old toilet did the same thing in that bathroom. Thank you!
Then hes a handyman, not a plumber or electrician. I am an electrician and work on all my own plumbing. But I never do any plumbing work for money.
Big time red flag 🚩
Yep. Hack handyman most likely.

I have been hearing this BS for years. Low flow toilets work just fine. I have never had to flush any toilet more than once. I just make sure the tank fills sufficiently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Then hes a handyman, not a plumber or electrician. I am an electrician and work on all my own plumbing. But I never do any plumbing work for money.

I have been hearing this BS for years. Low flow toilets work just fine. I have never had to flush any toilet more than once. I just make sure the tank fills sufficiently.

If your vent is cast iron it is probably plugged

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are new pipes from the house to the road,

I'f I put a cup of Dawn dishsoap in the toliets and flush with a pail of hot water, the waste goes down.
Are you sure those pipes are new?

I've done the Dawn/hot water trick plenty of times. Sounds pretty obviously like a pipe blockage of some kind. The only thing that makes me think it might not be is the weird "handle only goes down halfway" on the toilet thing.

The 35 second toilet fill might be normal due to lower water pressure where you are now compared to where you used to live. Especially if you used to have city water and now have well water.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Are you sure those pipes are new?

I've done the Dawn/hot water trick plenty of times. Sounds pretty obviously like a pipe blockage of some kind. The only thing that makes me think it might not be is the weird "handle only goes down halfway" on the toilet thing.

The 35 second toilet fill might be normal due to lower water pressure where you are now compared to where you used to live. Especially if you used to have city water and now have well water.
If you dump a bucket of water in the bowl, it will flush, but not very strongly because the siphon jet is not doing anything. That's maybe why the Dawn helps.

I think the there is not enough water in the tank or the flush valve isn't staying open long enough or the flush valve is not opening wide enough.

Faulty installation could explain the fill time and the handle and the poor flush. It is consistent with the problem only being in the toilets. It is consistent with the plumber also being an electrician (i.e. probably a hack).

The only thing I can't figure out is how to explain the old toilets. But maybe they were just crappy 30 year old toilets.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts