DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my office on a raised platform. A couple steps above the floor. The floor of the platform is just Chipboard. I can also easily access below the platform.

Now, I want to have plugs for my office devices such as computer and printer on the platform floor so all the power cords all go under the table.

What kind of plugs should I use? Should the plugs flush w/ the floor or on the surface of the platform floor taking into consideration of security and future cleaning ect?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
The easiest way to handle this is to install the receptacles under the floor, and just cut holes in the floor and run the cables through the holes. This is actually a very common solution for wiring in data centers, where the space under the floor is used for cooling as well as cabling. It makes the installation very flexible, because you can easily cut more holes and move things around without rewiring the receptacles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you want to install plugs on the floor, please us an approved box. They are available at any home center. Examples look like:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you want to install plugs on the floor, please us an approved box. They are available at any home center. Examples look like:

I agree, but boy are they expensive. Because of the floor plan, I was afraid I was going to need a couple of these when I wired my log home, but the inspector let me slide. Not to say he let me use an unapproved item, but let me get off without any outlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts