DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled in some holes and imperfections in travertine with the matching grout and while some came out the intended color when the grout dried, some of the tiles had gray spots where the holes had been filled. The dried grout did not turn the travertine color but remained gray.

I tried cleaning the gray areas using a sponge and vinegar and a scraper and although the holes were fliush with the stone surface
the gray color remained. See photos below.

Do not know what may have caused the grout to remain cement color and not dry to the tan travertine color.

How do I salvage these pieces. Is there a touch up paint I can use to blend these blotches in with the surrounding travertine color?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
Some stone yards sell a dye that can be mixed with a sealer. I would only use it on the affected spots. I really made a mess out of a border around a terrazzo floor once. That stuff worked like a charm.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
So you are saying that your white grout turned gray (only in certain places)?

Vinegar won't change the color, maybe test a few spots with non-chlorine bleach, such as that Oxyclean laundry whitener.

Apparently something on the tiles reacted differently to the grout. Each piece of tile is a unique piece of stone. That's part of the beauty of stone tiles.

Personally, I don't think it looks terrible, but I know that's not an answer.

I would maybe try another brand of grout and see if you get the same results.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,450 Posts
Whatever you do, do not try vinegar on those.

Travertine is basically a sedimentary rock, of seashells, which is A calcium base.

Vinegar dissolves calcium, and ruins any travertine, marble, or limestones that it touches.

And be careful with those other cleaners too, read their instructions, and heed the warnings.

As advised, a dye from a masonry supply store might be best idea.

ED

1 - 4 of 4 Posts